steam locomotive air compressor piping

N

nachoman

Does anyone have good diagrams or photos of how a single stage air compressor was piped on a steamer?

Kevin

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
There is an article in the May 2007 RMC magazine dealing with a 2-8-2 but I don't have anything else that readily comes to mind. What locomotive are you specificly dealing with?

N

nachoman

I've got a roundhouse 2-8-0 that I want to add piping to. There is no specific prototype here, so I can do "whatever looks good" but I at least want it to be plausible.

Kevin

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Kevin,
You could check out the photos of the shay I built posted in the academy.
The plumbing should be similar.

Here's a photo, That thread is sort of screwed up at the moment.
11615d1073536303-jan07006.jpg

N

nachoman

great photo, Ray. That helps a bunch. I would assume that in real life, the pipe on the lower right of the compressor that runs behind the compressor is the air discharge, and would run under the boiler to the air tank on the other side, correct?

Kevin

ps. I wish that link would work - that was a great thread.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I was looking for a diagram I had but can't locate it.
Basically you have a steam line coming from the inside of the cab to the top side of the compressor and an exhaust from the other side of the compressor top to the smokebox.
On the bottom of the compressor there is an inlet that usually has a filter on it, then the outlet that runs to the air tank.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I did some research on 2-8-0's and noticed that the compressor was sometimes mounted horizontally on the engineers side. I couldn't find any good piping photos. My Bachmann ten wheeler has the compressor mounted vertically on the firemans side, above the running board. A steam line comes from inside the cab to the compressor. Another line exits the compressor and goes underneath the boiler.(possibly exhaust?) Then there is the cooler just forward of the compressor for cooling the compressed air before it goes to the tank(which the model doesn't have).
To quote one NP historical site that was talking about the restoration of an actual locomotive, "the brake plumbing was a nightmare" because it had been changed so many times.
All of my other loco's are Shays or in the case of my On30 stuff, have no air systems.