Steam loco power trucks

capt_turk

I want to scratch build some of the early experimental steam locos. Is there anywhere that I can find power trucks like are used to scratch diesels but for steam locos? Ho or On30 Love some of those Gymongus drivers on the early ones.:)

shaygetz

The Bachmann DeWitt Clinton and John Bull are both pushed by their tenders. Roco and one or two other European manufacturers use tender drives in even their largest steamers as it is very reliable. That is the route you might want to consider for your projects. Best of luck and keep us posted :thumb:

jetrock

Check out NWSL at www.nwsl.com , their FLEA power unit might be ideal for such projects in HO.

I'm not sure but I think most such beasties were standard gauge or pretty close to it--they were small, though, so you might even consider two-rail O for such a project. A full-size O model would provide a lot of room to build a small motor into a small engine, as well as lots of that crazy eccentric walking-beam stuff that early steamers featured...

capt_turk

Thanks for the replies fellows,
One of the engines I particularly had in mind is that French engine with the nine foot tall drivers. I'm wondering where I might find drivers that would scale to 9'?

Russ Bellinis

capt_turk said:
Thanks for the replies fellows,
One of the engines I particularly had in mind is that French engine with the nine foot tall drivers. I'm wondering where I might find drivers that would scale to 9'?

I think you are out of luck, unless you find a European model of that French engine. I think the tallest drivers used in No. America were only 80".

capt_turk

The next logical question then, is: How would I go about making my own?
If they weren't spoked wheels, I could turn some on a lathe. Don't know how I would go about doing spoked wheels though.

shaygetz

I'd look for a European source for drivers that large before I considered making them. Without a lathe, rolling your own'll ;) be a trick. It can be done though.