Steam Engines

AlexK

Nov 3, 2001
Visit site
what do you think is a good steam engine to buy? I have many deisel engines but none that are steam. Can someone tell me their favorite or best running? thanks.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Alexk,
Guess you must be into H0, Bachmann do some very nice steam loco's, I like their 2-8-0 as I used to have one, it was a very good runner and quiet.
Good luck with your purchase.
Shamus

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
Alex, there are a lot of what-ifs to be able to give a pat answer. You can get a Bachman steamer for $20-25. Some Bach., like their shay Spectrum go to $150. I use IHC and have 10-12 of them, running $50 up to $220 for the Big Boy, and they are real smooth. Then P2K Heritage line can go for up to $500. I have almost all IHC Riverossi, and am real pleased.

That is just me, one person. Listen to others and you'll get an overall consensus on which to make a decision.

Lynn

AlexK

Nov 3, 2001
Visit site
thanks lynn and shamus. I will definately be getting a steam engine in the near future. probably at christmas. i will tell you what i got when i get it.

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
The IHC Mountian is a great piece for the money. Another is the Bachmann Niagara. Both retail for about US$80.

There's always brass, but I've already stated here my sentiments about that slice of the hobby.