Steam Engine Help

M Gray

Jan 23, 2007
Hastings, FL
In need of some experienced advice. I want to build a model train layout using the old west as the theme. Late 1800's, Carson City, Boot Hill, Gunfight at the OK Corrall, that type of thing.
I would like to spend no more than $80 on the engine, could someone please advise me on not only what brand to buy, but also on what model to get. There are hundreds of different steam trains out there, and to me most of them look the same.

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Thank you, in advance

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you are going to run dcc with sound, the Roundhouse/MDC models that Tom posted a link to are great. If you want to run dc, the Roundhouse old timer 2-6-0 is great, but their 4-4-0 is aparently not available in dc only, but only with dcc & sound if I read the info on the web page correctly. If you want a nice 4-4-0 for dc use without sound IHC makes some nice steam engines including an old time 4-4-0. http://www.ihc-hobby.com/cgi-bin/bsc.cgi?sn=013

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
M Gray-------------Go to Hobbylink.com, page one, four or five different early american steam engines--prices are fair and Iv'e ordered from them in the past without any problems---------John R

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Welcomne to The Gauge.
Seems like we have similar interests and layouts in mind. I'm also loooking for a similar steam loco. I'm just running DC, but am told the new DCC Roundhouse 4-4-0 with sound will run fine on DC. I'm also looking at the new Bachman 4-4-0, (w/o sound). I've heard good things about both, but haven't heard from anyone in a head-to-head comparison. Both are quite a bit outside your preferred price range though. I've got a couple of the Bachman Old Time Steamers (within your price) and am not real impressed with their running ability or pulling capacity. Let us know what you get. I'd also like to see some pics of your layout. You acn check out my homepage to see the humble beginnings of the B.A.D. Western.
Doc