Stats

davidstrains

Is there any way that the "who's online" stats at the bottom of the page could be made more meaningful? As they are now, our guests are lumped with the address and subject "bots". For instance as I enter this there are 14 "guagers", about 40 actual guests and 167 miscellaneous "bots" on line.

Adding the "bots" into the total equation make the actual online count meaningless as there are not 200+ people reading and/or learning from the material presented here. And I believe that it degrades the status of our real guests.

Just a thought.

ezdays

Out AZ way
davidstrains said:
Is there any way that the "who's online" stats at the bottom of the page could be made more meaningful? As they are now, our guests are lumped with the address and subject "bots". For instance as I enter this there are 14 "guagers", about 40 actual guests and 167 miscellaneous "bots" on line.

Adding the "bots" into the total equation make the actual online count meaningless as there are not 200+ people reading and/or learning from the material presented here. And I believe that it degrades the status of our real guests.

Just a thought.
Good thought David, but the answer is no. As administrators, we have but two choices, one is not to show the total stat at all, and the other is not to weed out the "bots". If we choose the latter, than all bots will show as guests, and we know that isn't real. It is a pity that the bots add to the total on line, but they are important nonetheless. Without them we would not be able to keep the search engines as up to date as they are. Just go to Google and search for something recent on the Gauge and there's a good chance it will come up. I have no idea why they need so many though.:rolleyes: I've seen times when we've had 400 or more of them here which tells me they have literally millions and millions of them roaming the net all the time.:eek: :eek:

No wonder they call them spiders....stooges8

steamhead

Hi,
Although not train-related, could you further explain what "bots" are and what is their function? And what's Google got to do with it??
Gus (LC&P).