Static grass system

Kevinkrey

I would like to have some static grass on my layout, but the Noch kit is VERYYYYYY expensive, and I have seen people who have made their own for $30 and less, does anybody here know how to make one.

We should have some items like this at the Gauge, we can all share, or rent, a good way to make money for the site, well keeping money in the pockets of the members.

Kevinkrey

I am thinking of making one, and I got the idea from the first link wayne gave me, which I found a few days earlier googling the subject, it just doesnt make sense to me (I dont know all the electrical parts, perhaps a trip to radioshack?), but I will look into this further.

MasonJar, are you also a woodworker?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I can do some basic carpentry (enough to get the benchwork up, and repair our kitchen chairs ;)), but that's about it.

Lee Valley is an incredible store - they carry much more than woodworking tools, although that is their origin, and their #1 strength.

Their static "flocker" requires no electrical/electronic parts, so it may be worth a call to them. I believe there's a toll-free number on their website.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The flocking is not ground foam, it is very short static grass - ~1/32". It creates the velvet type finish you find inside jewelry boxes and so on. In the description, it talks about creating a static charge so all the fibres imbed themselves vertically in the adhesive.

That's what made me think it might be able to do static grass. However, I am not sure if there is a practical limit to the length of fibre the flocker will shoot...

Andrew

doctorwayne

Kevin, in the link that I gave you, there is a link in the thread that shows the set-up - you'll have to scroll down that page to view it. Also, if you want to see how to hook-up everything, send an e-mail to Joe - just click on his "email me" link: he'll send you a diagram. Did you watch the YouTube video showing it in action? That's what convinced me to try to build one.
To get the Ion Generator required, google "Electronic Goldmine". The part number is G9695 and it costs about $13.00. I'm going to order one next week. When I googled just now, the third entry was for the ion generator. By the way, you'll also need a 12 volt DC source to power the thing - a power pack might work. I've got a 12 volt wall wart around here somewhere that I plan to use.

Wayne

Kevinkrey

I did see the video, it prompted me to check it out, I will send him an E-Mail, let me know how yours go's, post some pics when you start, and of corse, how it works.​