Starting

Alex

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
OK, i have an idea for a layout..the main feature will be a huge freight terminus, does anyone know what sort of stuff would happen at a freight terminus - and what engine facilities i need (i.e fuel pumps)

i am planning to run mainly BR Class 52 (does any company produce them) with a few DMU's on the Passenger line

Ideas...

Alex

o, and Hi to everyone in the forum, its great!

Zephyr

Dec 23, 2000
Visit site
Are you saying this will be a switching layout, without mainline runs?

------------------
....Pioneer Zephyr....
"The miracle of 1934"

Alex

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
There will eventually be mainline tracks, but it will start off purely as a switching layout

catt: yes, they are british locos

C

Catt

Alex ,do you have any track plan drawings to post?

------------------
Catt! A freelancer for life

C

Catt

Alex ,What scale are we talking here? I assume these are European locos?

------------------
Catt! A freelancer for life

Zephyr

Dec 23, 2000
Visit site
Alex, that sounds like a really great way to start your layout, section by section, instead of all at once (my mistake...very overwhelming!).
Maybe if you don't like the examples of freight terminals in some of the magazines, a field trip to such a terminal of BR would produce just the example you might be looking for. Remember to take lotsa pics, for scratch-building etc later on.
I don't know if a BR Class 52 is available. Hopefully someone else will know that answer for you. Otherwise check out a really good Train Shop operator. Also check eBay....hey, ya never know!
Zephyr

------------------
....Pioneer Zephyr....
"The miracle of 1934"

Drew

Dec 27, 2000
Visit site
I'll 2nd Zepher's opinion Alex. I think it's a good idea to get part of your layout up & running, & then move on to another section.
Sorry Alex, I'm not real familiar with British prototypes, but a modern U.S. freight terminal might consist of some type of intermodal or container facility, bulk oil, or chemicals, heavy manufacturing, etc... These type of places are generally in fairly close proximity to freight yards.