Starting out in N scale

dcfxq

My first post after "lurking" for several weeks.

I am working on a brand new very small (by necessity) N scale layout of 31"x32" in my return to scale rr'ing after a layoff of about 25 years and I have to say the scratching building I've seen here is most impressive.

Since the layout in noted above is what I will be limited to short of "swapping out" modules, I have decided to go the scratch build route.

My only other attempt at this was in 1975 when I lived in Toronto and built up an HO layout (4x8') for my son which went very well. At that time I followed the "cereal box" concept used so wonderfully by matthyro.

In a very short time I've been visiting here I've gotton lots of ideas and encouragement for the projects so many of you have been so kind to share with us all.

Thanks so much.

Russ Bellinis

Welcome to the Gauge. There is a great bunch of modelers "meeting" here. I model in ho myself, but I have been inspired by what I've seen others doing here. My buddy at my local hobby shop often laments that there are very few modelers left. Most people just get out their wallet and buy ready to run everything now days. I keep downloading and printing out stuff from the Gauge the show him that modelers do indeed still exist.

Clerk

Welcome to the Gauge dcfxq. If possible, post some pictures of your progress on the layout. Maybe even a track plan.

jon-monon

Welcome to the-gauge dcfxq! Hope I pronounced that right :D As you have seen, you have some top notch N scalers here to help bring you back into full steam.

What ya modelin'? Steam? Diesel? Hope to see photo's

dcfxq

Modelling steam (bachmann 2-8-0 only loco now) 'cause I always believed trains run on steam and cars run on diesel.

Oops, guess thats because I drive a VW TDI turbo diesel car. Oh well you get the idea - another somewhat off-beat type!

It will be a wee little layout but since expansion is limited I'll do scratch and get exactly what I want over time.

Will do some photos shortly - nothing on the board yet except some trackage but the planning stage is underway!

Arlaghan

Another welcome to the gauge!

I love little layouts, mine is 24" x 48" so it's more or less the same size as yours! It's also dedicated to a little steamer - as really that is all that will fit. :D

Looking forward to seeing it develop.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Originally posted by dcfxq
Modelling steam (bachmann 2-8-0 only loco now) 'cause I always believed trains run on steam and cars run on diesel.

Oops, guess thats because I drive a VW TDI turbo diesel car. Oh well you get the idea - another somewhat off-beat type!

That loco is on my wish list, I believe what you said about steam power, and I currently have a 95 turbo diesel & an '01 TDI (both Golfs)... :eek:

What does that say about me... ?!?! :rolleyes: :D :p

Welcome to The Gauge!

Andrew

dcfxq

Perhaps weirder of me - our 2001 1.8T Golf GLS lease came up and instead of a 150 hp screamer I went to a Golf TDI. Love it thus far (only 2 months and 750 miles old).

Also the decision for the 2-8-0 was largely influenced by my wife. She really liked the Southern green and gold scheme.

Since the layout is small I suspect that over time I'll be collecting more cars and loco's than I can actually run but since small sailboats are now a no-no for me after a heart attack in late June all them money saved on boat stuff can be .... well maybe part of it can go to train stuff at least :) .

The layout fits into a 32" wide Ikea shelf system next to my computer station where I trade foreign currencies during the day - often with the little guy running next to me.

Perhaps if the markets are quiet I'll get a "starter" photo posted tomorrow or Thursday.

I am also beginning to do a "rough" of a modified version of "Wicked Wandas". I've done to preliminary templates for the walls thus far using cereal boars and and exacto but wish my N scale ruler would get here to simplify scaling. My wife wants a farmhouse, barn and animals somewhere on the layout and I'd like to also have some small scale industrial/commercial building on the board as well.

Clerk

I have one of those Bachman 4-8-0 and I love it. It is one of the best running engines I have.

dcfxq

Just touching base

Took a couple of shots today but haven't figured out the way to post them. Also began a new scratchbuilt structure - the farmhouse I guess cause wife wants cows on the layout.

Will sort out the "how to" and get a photo or two loaded.