Starting my layout!

YmeBP

prodigy2k7 said:
PLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND -> im going to LHS tomorrow i need an answer :(

What do you mean by too thick? I've got a mix of 1" 1.5 and 2" foam as a and i have it stuck under some of my track to keep it high.

IMG_0013.JPG

I mean is 1.5 inches too thick to put an atlas non-deluxe under table switch machine (NOT UNDER FOAM, UNDER EVERYTHING) 1.5 inches!!!

lol...

I dont want to put it under foam and ontop of board...

Will the pick on the switcher reach? Not to mention road bed adds another 1/4 of an inch or whatever...

WIll it be long enough?

prodigy2k7,,, this is kinda out of my ballpark if you know what I mean ,, but if I was you I would go ahead and buy one switch machine and see what you can come up with,,,,,, and if it doesnt work you can throw it at the puter for me giveing you bad advise,,,, but I bet you can come up with a way to make it work,,,,,, might be able to cut a hole in the foam and in the wood,,,, then mount it to a seperate piece of wood and screw the wood on under the table,,,, that way you could shim it up the height you needed,,,, ,,, hope that helps,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,, st

YmeBP

I have no idea if it will reach, you could locate the measurments of the little swing arm thing at the end of the switch machine. Or use a different switch machine that has longer wire.

prod,,, I figure its a saturday morning and everyone could use a good laugh so i tried to draw a pic of what I was talking about,, kinda figure you already made it to the LHS but if you got a switch this might still help explane what I was talking about,,,,, good luck,,,,,by the way, I'm not a artist by trade,,,,, (edit-Im not sure what your switch machines look like but I figure something along the same principal might work,,, again, good luck,,,,,, ,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,, st

Attachments

• under table switch machine.jpg
    under table switch machine.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 143
not a bad idea but i dont have much to cut a hole in the wood with lol... and the foam, i got the bead foam, isnt that harder to cut? lol
I might just buy one and see what happens

Okay, I finally went to my LHS, The problem I have is YES its too thick. On the paper it says it should be max 1 inch, I am thinking of not using foam at all... Do i need foam for smoothness if im using roadbed? hmmz... I guess for the inside though... Or maybe get a thinner piece of foam.. TO me it would be easier to glue down and mark where my roadbed should go.

Okay i figured it out, im probably not using any foam at all...
here is my price list...

HO Cork Roadbed
12 pcs @ $1.29 = $15.48
Flex Track 3 ft sect.
12 @ 2.99 = 15.88
No. 6 turnout left & right
2 @ 11.99 = $23.98
rail joiners (pack of 48? i forgot actually... a few :p)
1 @ 2.35

under table switch machine
1 @ 8.25

track cutters
1 @ 13.99

Anyways total was $107.77 (after tax)

Was this good/bad or about even in terms of comparison to buying online or both online and at atore (including shipping at online stores)

anyways im trying to figure out what to do next :p

Update:
I started at 4Pm ended at 9PM (dang am I slow or what? Im starting to get the hang of it, the curves are the hardest and slowest parts to do lol...)

I also took a lot of breakes cuz i have to bend over so much my bak is killing me lol...
I know what its like to me ols :S lol...

So far I got 90% of the outer loop's cork roadbed in place

Okay im done putting down cork for both mainlines...
Im am going to my LHS soon either tonight or tomorrow to get more supplies... (more cork and a few turnouts)

EDIT: I forgot to ask one question.
Should I wire two turnouts to 1 switch? So that they both move at the same time. (going from 1 mainline to the other)
Otherwise I would just have to use two swithes everytime.
I hope that made sense...

Notice the train on the outloop going towards the inner loop. I would have to switch both in order for the train to go through correct?
Can I just wire both under table switches to 1 switch box?

! more quick question: What is the "adapter" for on the under table switch machine. Why is it a separate piece and not connected already?
switchquestion.PNG

radar

Yes you can wire 2 machines to 1 switch I think the adaptor is for mounting on top of layout? so long as they are the same "code" 100 you can use any brand of turnout.