Starting Layout

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Thanks for the compliments....

And sorry things are such a mess....have had some very serious illness in my family for the last year ( not me thank goodness) and just had to let this go to be a caregiver. One project for this summer is to get it all back in order.

The layout in its present state is 10X22ft and is HOn3. I will eventually be approx 16X22. Its in a converted garage in the backyard.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
The Winner!!!

Robin Wins!!! Robin Wins!!!:D

He gets extra points for the paint cans!!!:D

Its been fun guys:D :)

Hey Robin....Looks like we need to get busy!!!! HA HA:D

mrgooch

Mar 30, 2002
Toms River N.J.
Visit site
Layout Update

Today I added a hill leading into the mountain. When the train leaves the bridge it enters a ravine and disappears briefly. I also added the surround witch will hold the mountain range,going from left to right.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
MrGooch

I see we both use the same method for making terrain...wadded up newspaper to form the shape and then paper and plaster over that. I use brown paper bags from the gorcery store...Great minds working together!!!:D :D Looks like its been a good week for layout progress at your house. Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Well Vic, I haven't seen a paper bag in any store now as it's all plastic. The last paper bag I got must have been 20 years ago.
To make hills or mountains I make a web of cardboard strips and lay plaster soaked paper towels over the web. Works fo me but good to see other methods like yours mrgooch

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
It looks like Spring is the time for building layouts! You're making great progress Mrgooch!

As for the rest of you and your messy work areas, you probably have the luxury of being messy. I have to keep things at least reasonably in order 'cause its in my living space! :)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Paper Bags

Yep Robin believe it or not they still put the groceries in brown paperbags down here in "Hicksville":D They actually ask if you want a plastic bag:eek: Of course I always insist on the paper:D Most of them are "double" bags and you get twice as much of that good brown paper:p Here's a shot of how it works out. I attach it to the backdrop with a hotglue gun.

Attachments

• bag.jpg
    bag.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 128