Start Voltage??

Railroy19

Apr 23, 2006
I'm trying to get one of my engines to start faster from the stopped position to match the speed of another engine to set up a consist and have the two engines run approxamitly
at the same speed.
I changed cv 2 start voltage all the way from number 2 to the number 50 in increments
but I can not see any change in speed. I have no decoder docs because they did not come in the box with the new engines Atlas N gauge Alco RS-11 and one SD-26.
My other settings are CV 5 max volts 255 CV 6 Mid volts 128. CV 3 Acceleration 8
CV 4 Deceleration 8.

Anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong or can suggest what settings I should start with.

Thanks to all.
Bob

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Start voltage is simply the CV to ensure that your locomotive starts moving when your throttle reaches a value of something greater than 0. It has no effect on speed otherwise. Matching speeds comes more from mid range voltage and top voltage... If you really want to get fancy you can apparently do speed scales as well...

Railroy19

Apr 23, 2006
OK
I found out what model decoders are in these engines so I downloaded the docs from the mfg. website and changed my settings to match the doc's and that worked out very well.
I guess you have to take into consideration the speed of each different motor types in each engine. I now have these two engines running side by side with only two numbers of speed apart.

Thanks Agatheron
Bob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Railroy19 said:
I'm trying to get one of my engines to start faster from the stopped position

CV 3 Acceleration 8
CV 4 Deceleration 8.

Anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong or can suggest what settings I should start with.

Thanks to all.
Bob

Bob...

It sounds like you have solved the problem, but here is one other possibility to consider if the MU-ed locos are not behaving:

Those are relatively "slow" values for accel and decel... You might make some changes to those values, considering your first sentence of the post.

Andrew