Start of my New Camas Prairie Layout.

NIevo

Oct 19, 2007
Hayden, ID
Well I had a thread started in the Layout Design section but figured since I am making the switch to N-Scale for sure I would start a new one here to document the entire process.

First off, at this time I have very limited space to work with, which is why I have designed the layout to be built in stages. I will probably start with the Potlatch facility first as it will offer the most operation as a stand alone unit.

As for the Railroad I am modeling it is located in Nothern Idaho and was a joint venture between the Northern Pacific (later Burlington Northern) and Union Pacific. It was heavily dependent on grain and timber. It features some spectacular scenery as well as amazing bridges and trestles.

I am starting from ground zero with N-Scale so I will post updates regularly with new rolling stock and layout updates.

Here is the track plan I have for now. It is 20'x30' which I hope to be the minimum once we get moved and settled. I obviously don't know if it will be perfectly rectangular or the exact size so I designed it to be flexible. I have thought about doing a multi-level plan but aren't sure if I want to worry about working on such a tall platform. Let me know what you guys think.

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
A very ambitious undertaking. That layout is going to represent a lot of real estate. I really do like the idea of having a high scenery to track ratio, but have you thought about how many trees you are going to have to have? Even if you clear cut half of the timber acreage, you are going to need an army of workers producing trees. :mrgreen:

I am looking forward to watching your progress.

NIevo

Oct 19, 2007
Hayden, ID
Well there is actually alot of grassland and rock facings on the route. A fair amount of trees for sure but I'm not planning on having it done next year either ;)

NIevo

Oct 19, 2007
Hayden, ID
Well I got my first shipment of items in this week. A few sets of Atlas Code 55 track, a Micro Engineering Viaduct trestle that will become Lawyers Canyon Viaduct, and a 2pc set of Walthers 45' Burlington Northern Log cars.

mummert

Jan 18, 2007
Pa
That is a very impressive design. I for one will certainly be watching the progress on this layout.

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
For us people that are doing our best to have a nice n scale layout on a 5'x10' board, I am not sure if I am just envious of your space or overwhelmed by what you consider limited space. You must have a basement, here in Florida, we do not know what a basement is.
dwight77

NIevo

Oct 19, 2007
Hayden, ID
Well to be clear I don't have this space yet. I am waiting for a transfer to go through but it might be some time. Not sure if it will be in a basement or a shop. I designed it to be flexible to fit the final dimensions. For now I am going to start with the Paper Mill island.