Starship Troopers Roger Young-Bob's Build

F131

F131
I'm putting the finishing touches on the rear engine assembly, also adding a mounting plate to prevent sagging.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 24

SEBRET

Looks Good. I know what you mean about the sagging. What I have found is that the sagging comes from the back wall of the big rectangle that you attach that assembly to. I made a mental note to back that area with something stiff next time I build it. Here's a picture to try and describe it. Sorry, I'm no artist, lol

backing by SEBRET, on Flickr

I'm also curious how you dealt with the back of the bridge. I found that when i went to put it around the raised area it sits on, the opening wasn't long enough and i had to cut into the hull a bit. Not sure if you'll understand that but wanted to see if you had the same issue.

One more thing. Not sure if you saw in my photos, but a made a simple addon to keep the back half of the ship level with the front. It attaches right below where the engine block meets the body. Let me know if your interested and ill send it to you.

F131

F131
Looks Good. I know what you mean about the sagging. What I have found is that the sagging comes from the back wall of the big rectangle that you attach that assembly to. I made a mental note to back that area with something stiff next time I build it. Here's a picture to try and describe it. Sorry, I'm no artist, lol

backing by SEBRET, on Flickr

This images was very clear. I glued posterboard throught the "middle hull for strength....but it is not completely flush with the engine section. To prevent the "bowing" you nicely illustrated, I will glue 90 degree cardstock "tabs" around the engine mount to the middle hull. Not sure if I'm making sense, but I will take images after the weekend.

I'm also curious how you dealt with the back of the bridge. I found that when i went to put it around the raised area it sits on, the opening wasn't long enough and i had to cut into the hull a bit. Not sure if you'll understand that but wanted to see if you had the same issue.

One more thing. Not sure if you saw in my photos, but a made a simple addon to keep the back half of the ship level with the front. It attaches right below where the engine block meets the body. Let me know if your interested and ill send it to you.
If you are talking about the forward bridge, I had to do alot of cutting to make it fit (see middle picture, above). I used additional paper parts to cover my flaws/cuts. I wish I had built the "newer" version of the foward bridge that ekuth had on his additional parts sheet. It looks like it would have fit better and it is narrower, more like the movie model.
Please, send me the part you speak of. I can't have my RY sag.
[*********************]
BTW, I like all your special detailing you did. Its the addition effort that really makes these models pop. I'm thinking of printing out the "engine greebles" from the TOS Galactica to add some "piping" around the RJ engines. I have slowly developed patients in my 40's. LOL.

F131

F131
I needed to frame the engine mount to middle hull to prevent the sagging seem in the illustration above. It works well. I still have some droop at the junction of the forward hull to middle hull. I figure that out later.
Just making engines now.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 20
Z

Zathros

F131, please, don't post your e-mail, it's against forum rules, and not a good idea. Send a P.M. (Personal Message) to SEBRET with your e-mail, it is best to do these types of things through P.M.'s or you will be bombarded with SPAM. Thanks! :)

(P.S.) The Model rules!! It is quite excellent, and your documentation of the build is making this a must read. Do you keep an insect in that big cage underneath it? :)

F131

F131
Thanks for educating me about the email. I already get enough spam. The cage is for our retriever with the peanut sized bladder. My model is requiring additional real estate.

Z

Zathros

I had a Chihuahua that had the bladder of an Elephant. Just as Stubborn too. She'd hold it all day then let loose on the Sofa. I quickly discovered plastic and luckily she could not jump worth a hoot so those little kiddie gates worked well. She lived 16 years, God bless her little soul. Cried like a baby when she died, in spite of all the pee, and Poo, which was not so bad. Kind've like little stinky Tootsie Rolls but a little smaller than the big ones and bigger than the small ones. :) I think I am going to get some of those to hand out on Halloween!!

220px-Tootsie-Roll-Log-Large.jpg

SEBRET

Alright, so I thought I would post the support part I talked about here for everyone. It's not very complicated. Just a 4.7 cm block. I painted it flat black. It pretty much disappears and helps keep the back half level.

backsupport by SEBRET, on Flickr

Attachments

• Support.zip
    31.6 KB · Views: 13

F131

F131
Spent most of the day working on engines. I created an extention to the top engine to make it look more like the studio model. I used poster board and covered it with overlapping pieces of paper. I think it looks pretty good. Time to give the eyes a rest.

Attachments

• IMAG0558.jpg
    IMAG0558.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0560.jpg
    IMAG0560.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0561.jpg
    IMAG0561.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0564.jpg
    IMAG0564.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0565.jpg
    IMAG0565.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG0567.jpg
    IMAG0567.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 17

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
This is really coming together.

I have had this kit for some time but have been daunted to try, given its size and the quality of work it demanded.

Watching your build it inspiring!

The DC

F131

F131
Mounting the lower engines went smoothly. Not too many gaps. I want to finish detailing the top engines before mounting them. I'm not sure what to do about additional grebles.

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 15

F131

F131
Well, RJ's basically finished. Just putting on the finishing touches.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 21

F131

F131
Sure. I could PM ekuth and see if he wants them added to his parts list, or I could email them to you.

F131

F131
Tomorrow I will give her a nice coat of Dull Coat and make all those darn glue marks disappear.

F131

F131
Here are 2 zip files to some of the parts I tinkered with to make the main bridge and ships nameplate look more like the studio model. The bridge re-work is for the original bridge in ekuth's parts list (not the alternative bridge) and is meant to be a skin to glue over the "completed" original part. The "name plate" file should replace the original part.....assuming I made it correctly:confused:
Go to page #2 in this thread if I have completely confused you. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• Rodger Young New Name Plate.pdf.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
  • Rodger Young New Parts.jpg.zip
    696.5 KB · Views: 40