Starship Troopers Roger Young-Bob's Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by F131, Jul 24, 2011.

1. F131

F131 Member

She's big, bad, and about to take up at least 3' of my shelf space.

Attached Files:

2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

You're off to a great start. Nice work area too!
  3. F131

F131 Member

I'm going to need a lot of balsa wood and cardboard to keep her firm and straight. Working now, more pics later.
  4. F131

F131 Member

Interesting thought.....bigger does not mean easier. It also shows my flaws more pronounced. Things didn't start out well today due to me gluing a hull section on backwards. Thankfully I downloaded the BL2 "alternate" part that actually looks more like the part in the directions.

A note to anyone wanting to build the RJ, without formers, I tend to collapse sections of the nose when applying pressure gluing on new hull sections. So far I have been able to pop them back in place. I'm not sure as to how it is possible to avoid this. So far, so good.

Attached Files:

5. F131

F131 Member

Interesting....I'm look at Hot4Darmat's incredible build and notice his is a nice battleship grey. My laser printer makes mine look almost black. But, badass black. Thanks ekuth for the effort you put into designing her.
  6. ekuth

ekuth Guest

You're quite welcome! Eventually I'll get around to fine tuning her. Will be watching the build with interest!

And yeah, I can't figure out the color difference. You didn't use photo paper, did you?

Oh, and foam core board will do a better and cheaper job than balsa... especially when you get to the mid hull area... :rolleyes:
  7. F131

F131 Member

Great tip!

BTW, should I be using the alternate or original parts. The are similar but different. I will definately use the launch bay "alternate" parts and the lower nose section.
    I will try to get some work done tonight, but I not done with my "Honey Do" list.
  8. ekuth

ekuth Guest

I would always lean towards the alternate parts- they were mainly released to correct errors/fit of the originals. The launch bay parts are definate musts, but I can't claim credit for them!

Huh... just regular paper on a laserjet? Odd. Your color profile must be set dark. I love lasers for the crispness, but the damn stuff flakes badly, especially on folds/small parts.
  9. F131

F131 Member

10. ekuth

ekuth Guest

If I understand you correctly... the Nose Lower either goes under Nose Lower "A"; or is a replacement for it entirely.

Unfortunately it's been so darn long I don't remember!

Anyone else chime in with thoughts?
  11. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Okay, I think I've got it figured.

As I recall, I had missed developing that part entirely and someone (I *think* it was Hot4Darmat) caught it. I quick developed the part as a "two level" compromise for those who wanted more "chin" or less.

I'm about 90% sure (without actually building it again, lol) that the "top" is the nose lower with the windows (Nose Lower "A"). You should then place the "Nose Lower" (without windows) under that part.

Clear as mud???
  12. F131

F131 Member

Thanks for getting back to me. I can pretty much figure this part out but not the part in the second pic. I'll figure it out, one way or another.:thumb:

Attached Files:

13. F131

F131 Member

I'm not making too much progress today.

Attached Files:

14. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Still looking good! It's deceptive... you see all these nice "simple" blocks and figure:

"Oh, this'll be an easy build!"

And then, when it's too late, you realize what you're in for... ;)

There's one part I guarantee you're gonna hate me for.
  15. F131

F131 Member

A little hint? I frustrated now tying to line up (exactly) the wedge assembly and the hanger deck sections.
  16. F131

F131 Member

Its not going as smoothly as I would like...but she's taking shape.

Attached Files:

17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

She's coming along beautifully, I can wait for the Denise Richards add-on!
  18. F131

F131 Member

I decided to do like Hot4darmat did, and recess the launch bay doors. It really adds to the detail. Sorry the pic is blurry. I also Photoshoped a couple of enhanced (?) parts to reflect the studio model.

Attached Files:

19. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Neither can I ;)
  20. F131

F131 Member

Heres a couple of pics with the new bridge skins. It's not perfect, but I think looks nicer. Also, a pic for you, Zathros:thumb:

I should get to painting the fold lines before I get too far into the next section.

Attached Files: