Stargate models

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Nothing, Nov 1, 2007.

1. paper-toys

paper-toys FOUNDER OF PAPER-TOYS

Why does everyone think its going to be REALLY BIG? LOL, and it should olny be 2 feet wide and 1 to 2 feet up..... and thanks!
  2. paper-toys

3. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

I'm curious. What is a premium account at your site/forum? Why is it necessary to test build this? A model of Atlnatis isn't for me, I was just wondering.
  4. paper-toys

lol, ill be putting a preview of what the premium acount is on my site later. I mentioned that olny for people who want to test build (a few people do and i dont want them recieving files and then giving them out. It is going to be a exlusive model on my site.....)
  5. Master-Bruce

Ok, it's just that "Premium" suggests that it's a commercial model, or that you need to be a paying member of your forum to be able to build it. Which is your call of course it's your creation. Although that wouldn't mean that people don't pirate your creations. It happens all the time we've seen that alot lately. Hell, even the free models get ripped off as well as the commercial ones. I myself have downloaded pirate models back when I was new to this hobby and wasn't wise to the copyrights and knowledgable of where the official models were.

It's not my bag though. For me, I design models that I'd generally like to have but can't find. If I'm doing them anyway then I may as well share my work and get the kick out of seeing others enjoy them.

Also, because of budget limits I've never paid for a model. There are so many high quality freebies out there (non pirate)that I've never been tempted to either. That's just my stance, other will agree with me and others won't. :)

Sorry, didn't mean to rattle on there. The model is coming along nicely. :)
  6. paper-toys

Thanks! glad you wanted to know! I am going to make these for non-premuim user's aswell. The olny thing is that they will have to add up points, since i have seen alot of people coming to my forum alot, but not posting or anything like that. So i made the PTbucks system so that the people making there builds, feel like there getting something (PTbucks). That is my main reason, -people are checking my site every day or two, but not typing. -people will pirate them if they are just put for download. I dont mean to be rude and i know alot of the paper model creations have taken along time to make, but this is a really big one for me. The city has to be extracted for part (building, towers, stems). Then i have to take each part and recreat the textures, put it into pepkura and adjust the parts. Plus i think i am attemting the first atlantis city out there. And i made the Premuim acounts thing so that people dont have to collect PTbucks but can download the models free of waiting time and other stuff (you can read it in the premium section if you are signed in.). I made the premuim section to support the site (example: take ads out, extra features and so on.) I also made a donation section for people who "want" to donate, less then 10 or have some money that is spare. Any how, the model is going great, i am putting textures on the buildings and stuff, but i have to re edit the textures to make them look more accurate.

Update: Ill be posting some new pics of my progress on my website: www.PapertoysHQ.com
  7. Master-Bruce

Ok. Thanks. :)

The problem I see with the "PT Bucks" system is this. People will post at the forum for no other reason than to get more points, whether they're interested in a subject or not.

I've been a member at quite a few forums for modelling, paper or other. After a while you get know the members who often post comments like, "Nice." or ,"Keep up the good work.". They don't actually take part or make valid comments. One member in particular did this only to have the highest post count which to me is just lame and also frustrating. Frustrating because you get an email notification of a thread reply, you log in and check the thread hoping to have something worth reading only to find the said person has posted,"Nice.". That to me is quite annoying, epsecially when you know what they're doing and why they're doing it.

If there are people out there who do this just for a post count, surely there are those who'll post just for bucks and not for the sake of taking part??

Other than that I now think this system could be a nice way to encourage participation on the boards.

Good luck on the model, I'll be keen to see finished build pics.
  8. paper-toys

Thanks, and yes there are those type of people. I myself as a admin of the site, i say those type of comments to say that It is a nice or super model. Not for points since i am admin, lol. Is there anyone that knows how to export 3ds textures into pepkura? THANKS! (working on the model as we speek)
  9. Master-Bruce

Export the textures? If you have a 3DS mesh that has textures applied it should remain the same when you open it up in Pep. If there are no textures when you open it which sometimes happens with me, you'll have to open up the "Texture Configuration" menu and reselect the textures there.

Is this a different problem? If it is then I may be at a loss.
  10. paper-toys

I have the atlantis mesh, i open it with Pep, and no textures come with it. I have to take screen shots and adjust it for the buildings.
  11. Master-Bruce

The mesh had no textures to begin with? I'd texture it all out side of Pep. Then when it's done open it in Pep for unfolding.
  12. paper-toys

no, there is textures and was. (when you open it with 3DS MAX, but if I open it with Pep, there is no textures.)
  13. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

atlantis

i dont know but i think this is a new atlanta mesh.the textures are different than papertoys.
    FLYout0144.jpg
  14. paper-toys

Nice model! and yes, this is a different and yes this has different textures. Great find! (can you send me a link to it?) I am having major problems exporting texturs to Pep from 3ds max.
  15. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

pm me you email ill send it to you.
  16. paper-toys

Thanks! ill check it later.... Thanks again! (can you enter the site?)
  17. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

yea now that i understand the confusion of the 2 sites.
  18. paper-toys

k. First i made a freewebs Papertoys site. Then i made the new forum. And after alot of transffering we decided to settle at this new place, as it is better. (more info on the hompage......) I am test building Atlantis today!
  19. hey i cant log in on your site and i registered
  20. paper-toys

password not working? (please try to use the "forogt password", if that is the case. If not ill give you a account to log in to. This way you can see if you have the problem still.(test acount))