Stargate gun: FN P90 build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mousemuffins1, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

I'm putting this one here in Sci-fi models, because most folks will know this as the gun used in stargate. It is a Real gun, however, so it would be just at home in the military section, or perhaps "everything else'.

This is the first card model i've designed using a computer, and I'm still trial and erroring my way through, so please be gentle, it's my first time. :rolleyes:

Designed in Sketchup, with a bit of help from Pepakura. Thanks to all who have helped me so far, you've been awesome.

[​IMG]

not quite done yet, lots of details to do, the sight in particular.

I've started testbuilding the rear handgrip section, and it actually seems to be working....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shapewise, it's a hugely complex design with alot of curved surfaces. I just hope I'm up to it.
  2. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

a bit more done...

[​IMG]
  3. ohh ive been waiting for someone to do on of these ill be following closley looks excellent so far
  4. luciencarroll

luciencarroll Grand Poobah

outstanding man. this would probably be my first(and only) weapon build(unless of course you come up with a staff or a zat). maybe this could start 1:1 SG props, someone somewhere was working on an L.S.D.(life signs detector)
  5. i ctually have a simple life signs mesh fromm the google wearhouse ill sen it to you if you like its teaxtures are fairly descent
  6. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

well, I think this section's complete. okay for a testbuild. I'm going to have to tweak a few things, but the whole thing has gone together surprisingly well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up:

[​IMG]
  7. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Wow that looks great mouse!:thumb: keep posting pics!
  8. wow its only the first part and the detail in it is great
  9. Tars

Tars Member

Cool! I once built a P90 too, I downloaded it from a japanese site (lost the link a long time ago, this was my first papermodel I think). The shape is OK but the detail is almost non-existent on that one... there's some pics in my gallery. Yours looks a whole lot better! Will you do any textures?
  10. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

I'm still not sure on textures. As the whole weapon is basicaly black plastic,I'm thinking folks would reather save the ink and give it a couple of light coats of spaypaint. the magazine will have texture though. I'll probably just supply files in very dark grey, olive green (there are some versions like that) and no colour for folks who don't want to use up three tanks of black.
  11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You could take the final sheets in black line and print them on dark grey cardstock with the idea that you will still see the cut/fold lines.
  12. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Huh?

Okay for a testbuild?

It looks great to me MM! Don't be too hard on yourself. Looking forward to watching this develop.

SJ
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

There are a lot of curves involved with this model. It looks like you tackled some of them rather well.

After all, think of the limitations with the medium, not with your ability.
  14. Kjev

Kjev Member

Wow. I really can't think of a more complex weapon to try to build. I'd like to try my hand at this one when it's finished.

I have this crazy idea of using a paper model to modify my paintball gun. . . .
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

You would, of course, reinforce it with resin or fiberglass, right? Wouldn't want that gun to 'crack under pressure' as it were. :)
  16. Janx

Janx Member

looks incredible so far!
  17. Kjev

Kjev Member

Actually, that was the part where the idea hit reality. I don't have the time or the inclination to re-make the patterns out of metal, and most plastic that's workable isn't tough enough. Hadn't considered fiberglass or resin, though. Thanks!
  18. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

In that case, look up some of Smooth-On's resin products. They've got some great stuff that is almost a water-like consistency and which doesn't require a really precise A-B ratio. You could pour it into the model once it's completed and it will ooze and flow into all the little crevices, thereby giving you a solid resin gun case. Of course, you'd have to find a way to cast around the gun itself, but once it's done, you will have a rock-solid prop that will stand up to all kinds of punishment. :thumb:
  19. Kjev

Kjev Member

I'll definitely look into it! I play a lot of woods ball, my gear takes a beating.
  20. Mousemuffins1

Mousemuffins1 Member

I'm not sure this gun would be big enough for a paintball conversion. it's only 50cm (19 1/2" ) long.

Still, i'll be reinforcing mine anyway, just so it stands up to bit more handling than the average card model would.

I'm going to start by filling the grip sections with foam.

The front grip section is coming along nicely.

[​IMG]

...and looks good next to the pistol grip.

[​IMG]

an exellent idea. thanks for that stevO.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.