Stargate fans

entity789

Dec 9, 2004
Actually yeah, I built the gate to scale so the train is too big to go through. I plan on mounting it to the side of a hill which would be next to a park/station. The reason it will be mounted into the hillside is to hide the wires and lights that should make it look operational. I am using a piece of rippled stain glass to mimick the event horizion; it will be backlit with rapidly flashing blue and white LEDs to give it the look of an active gate. I am currently trying to assemble the circuit board to make the LEDs flash properly. I replaced the red LEDs (for the Chevrons) with bright amber colored ones. I also have all the design work finished on the gate itself. I will update the picture soon. I just hope it doesn't take me too long to get the circuit board correct, I really want to see it operational soon.

Jonathan

entity789

Dec 9, 2004
oh yeah, the DHD is proving much more difficult to sculpt. I'm going to have to take my dremel to it and do some freehand carving.:(

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
SteamerFan said:
forgive me here, but the gate is not big enough to have a modern train go through it (it's about 1 person in radious, aproxx 6 feet). you would have to scale the train down to support such an opperation, then yuo have to make sure all the track on both side is exactly perfectly lined up. and then ensure there's clearance on all sides going through a round opening.

it would be betetr to model a staion type deal, have pasengers arrive via train to a platform connected to the gate, then the people would transition through the gate to the funny worlds. this way you could model the gate open with a peice of mirror and some semi-transparent blue paint swirled on it.

Hi SteamerFan
If you watch the series long enough you'll see that there were several instances where a special flier "threaded the needle" and flew through the gate. Also in the new spinoff Atlantis, they regularly use Puddlejumpers to fly through the gates. While a full sized locomotive would be a tight fit, they wouldn't need to be pared down much. Something like a Bullet Train should be a good fit (maybe with a little grease :D :D ).

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Have you thought about using one of those "Disks" in Spencer's Gifts.. It'sa round flat thing - that has lightning running through it :) That would be cool for behind the mirror in the gate. :D :D and I think - they are about 4" diameter.

Too bad the Acela "express" can't go through it. I've taken that train from Boston to Philly several times, and believe you me, it could use a wormhole. Once it was delayed for track problems, and we crawled along at 15 mph for 6 hours (!!!) in order to yield right of way to all the New York Metro trains.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
I just thought of the biggest reason that running a train through a stargate would be almost impossable, track alignment and connections. Can you imagine coming out of a stargate doing 60mph and the tracks an inch or so out of alignment. Also there is the problem of the opening "flush" of a gate disintegrating anything in front of it. Gotta be hard on tracks. Better stick with the idea of a railroad terminal by the gate and hoofing it through the gate itself. :D :D

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
That's gonna look (rephrased) sweet. I'm thinking make four of them that way two can be active and two in active on different spots on the layout. Remember, one episode where they found a gate I believe in Russia. Now there was another episode where a ship was stuck half way threw the gate therefore one half was sticking out of the stargate and the other half sticking in. You could place a stargate completely on the other side of the layout away from each other then fully detail an old locomotive (no guts) and cut it in half. Then put one stargate with a track dead ending in to it making it look like its going threw but on the other one on the other side of the layout no track coming out then you can take the back half of the locomotive and place it on the track so it look's like it's half way threw and the front half coming out the other side in the dirt. with Jaffa surrounding it like WTH is that! LMAO that would be great. The sight of an SG team driving a locomotive threw a stargate. As for the other two stargates, I would put one where it is only activated with nothing going threw and another somwehre else completely away from the other not activated so that you can see right threw it. I wouldn't show the government that though. They might hold ya hostage trying to get the info out of you because you figured out to make a wormhole because they think it's real, :eek: but you can sit back and laugh :D knowing that it's not real and to see how dumb they look :mad: . If this was really carried out, then I want LOT's of pictures. :D :D :thumb:

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Pitchwife said:
Hi SteamerFan
If you watch the series long enough you'll see that there were several instances where a special flier "threaded the needle" and flew through the gate. Also in the new spinoff Atlantis, they regularly use Puddlejumpers to fly through the gates. While a full sized locomotive would be a tight fit, they wouldn't need to be pared down much. Something like a Bullet Train should be a good fit (maybe with a little grease :D :D ).

I don't think a locomotive would have to be reduced what so ever. After having stop reading this forum to go back in the living room and replay threw the tapes I've recorded from the shows that stargate is a lot bigger than it seems from kwik glance shots after pausing it on the gate with people standing right in front of it. I even have a couple episodes where they show they had to use a skylift to reach the top for the repairs. Gotta keep in mind that in that room on the base there is a metal ramp going up to the lip of the inter circumference reducing a bit of it's size but taking it away I believe a "gulwing" locomotive will fit threw a true scale stargate threw the inner circumference of the stargate without a doubt. I know for sure it's a lot more than 6 feet tall on the inner circumference. The shot I was looking at was from inside the control room with the guy's standing nose to nose with the gate. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but those are the cold hard facts. Just research that's all.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Another place to view their size is in the Stargate: Atlantis series playing on Sci-Fi Channel now. They show some ships they have designed to fly thru the gate; just barely. As a matter of fact they had an episode on it... Something about the ships guns didn't pull in and it was stuck between the two gates and slowly disappearing.
Anyways... I think a train could fit, too. Just no high loads.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Just make sure that the train can be completely through the gate in less than 43 minutes. Otherwise the tailing cars gets cut off. :D :D :D :D

ps Have you ever wondered what would happen if you walked through the back of a gate while it was in operation? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Hmmm... Hey that be a great thing for an episode.
So... We know it will need to be a certain overall size and need to beat a certain time limit
for passage through.
Would its speed need to be overr 88mph? To make sure it doesn't get caught and that it
"lands" properly on the other side. Plus, that ties in another Sci-Fi film with trains.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
From what I gather waching the series, if an object enteres a gate at a certain velocity, it will travel through the wormhole at the same velocity as any other object. On exiting the destination gate it will once again revert to the initial velocity it had upon entering the departure gate, and E=MCsquared. Is that scientific enough? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Also remember that you are using a "fast clock." So you only have like 45 real time seconds to clear rhw gate. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Sir_Prize said:
Another place to view their size is in the Stargate: Atlantis series playing on Sci-Fi Channel now. They show some ships they have designed to fly thru the gate; just barely. As a matter of fact they had an episode on it... Something about the ships guns didn't pull in and it was stuck between the two gates and slowly disappearing.
Anyways... I think a train could fit, too. Just no high loads.

Sir_Prize. You nailed it dead on. That is the show I was referring to in my last post. I couldn't remember what happened because it's been awhile sense I seen that one. I still think if you cut a locomotive in half and butt the cut end of a half right up against the glass it will appear as if it was going threw. Same thing for the second gate except coming out of it. :thumb: I love the idea and my Mom and step dad are big fans of the original SG-1 series and when I told them about this thread and how the model was being built even though they don't have much of an interest on trains they asked if there was any pictures of this model. I laughed and told them it wasn't completed yet but if there are any pictures I'll send them so they can see them. I believe you have a high selling item there if you could mass produce them as kits. That would go over big.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
I was scrolling back through the forum to see if there were any threads I missed. Got to reading this thread over again and got an idea. Two gates, one on each end of the layout and two identicle trains. The gates would have to be backed up to a hillside so you couldn't see anything coming out the back side (not unprecidented. Though most gates are in the open, in some episodes a few have been situated this way). One train going into the gate at one end and the other coming out the opposite end. Timing wouldn't be real critical as long as the train going into the gate is a second or three ahead of the one coming out. Instant teleportation. :cool: :cool: :D :D