Stargate Daedalus

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by sdk2knbk, Apr 11, 2007.

1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Just added 3 pix of my latest battle, er, build, to my gallery. Jaybat's Daedalus from Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Not the easiest model to build, has anyone else done so successfully? If you want one, be SURE you want it. Thirteen pages, missing tabs and fold lines, odd pepakura geometry, and a couple of features that don't work right. Add my own building errors, and it was an "interesting" experience. Jay, if you're listening, PM me for my suggestions for V.2, if there's going to be one.

Scott K.
  2. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

i knew this ship was trouble, with the weird shapes and multiple objects... PM'ing you!
  3. dhanners

dhanners Member

Nice-looking build. I've looked at the pages of that model several times, thinking I could build up enough nerve to have a go at it, but so far, I haven't hit the "print" button because it looks quite complex. But you did a great job. Thanks for posting the photos.
  4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Wow, that's nice!!! Is it much more difficult than the Prometheus?? They'd look real nice as a set....
  5. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Thanks! Yup, more difficult, but not impossible. I forgot to ask Jay, is it the same scale as the Prometheus? MUCH bigger model. Not too good at estimating size, but it's almost as long as my keyboard! Now that I've examined it, and listed my suggestions to Jay, I see some goofs that are entirely my fault, so beware using my pix as reference. Mainly the landing deck(?) right in front of the hangar doors. Mine is partially glued to the surface below it. Uh-uh, it's supposed to be perpendicular to the doors, it does NOT follow the contour of the bottom of the flight pod. Also, if you build one before it's redone, the parts that slide over the flight pod ends aren't big enough around to slide over. Not some much a problem at the back, just a bit of a problem matching the texture there. At the front, I cut off most of the bottom of the extension, leaving about a third to slide over. Then I used the cut off pieces to splice the bottom to the rest. It works, but don't look too close:roll: . The model does have some problems, but there are plenty of builder errors in there, too. (the hangar front, the crooked flight pods, the crooked front of a lower pod that you can't see, etc....:oops: )

Scott K.
  6. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

actually i have no reference for scale, and for all the models i haven't really thought of exact scales. i just go visually, by how much space on the paper print-out is taken up by some parts. for example, i tried to make the flight pods on the Galactica and the Pegasus take up the same amount of paper space; the same thing with the cockpits of the Mk VII and Mk II. doesn't always work, and it's not precise.
  7. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Well, the nose sections of each ship are similar in size, but still not sure. This forum; http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/2145-calling-all-stargate-fans-173.html has a post that suggests that the ships are 270m and 470m. Farther down, it suggests a length of 700 metres for the Daedalus! I dunno. Anyway, here's a shot of both models together.

[​IMG]

Looks like they might be close, if not exactly the same scale.

Scott K.
  8. ich

ich New Member

Could anyone do some nice-realistic-highres-600dpi Textures for this? Wich would add more Details, maybe from one of the 3d meshs available?

I finished my model today, at some parts i had to improvise (connecting the neck to the mainpart, fitting the front upper part of the nose).

If one wants one could even attach more details...like a lot of antennas as the origirnal has.
  9. ich

ich New Member

Could anyone do some nice-realistic-highres-600dpi Textures for this? Wich would add more Details, maybe from one of the 3d meshs available?

I finished my model today, at some parts i had to improvise (connecting the neck to the mainpart, fitting the front upper part of the nose).

If one wants one could even attach more details...like a lot of antennas as the origirnal has.