Starfighter-X

cdwheatley

Apr 13, 2008
Waterlooville, Hampshire, England
I started this model recently and thought I would share with you my progress so far:-

20160219_133830.jpg
20160219_133926.jpg

Here are a few photos I took while I was building the fuselage:-

20160210_195445.jpg

20160211_180430.jpg

20160211_180501.jpg

20160211_180546.jpg

I also thought I would show you the tools and equipment I use to build all of my models:-

20160219_134818.jpg

I use the Swann-Morton scalpel for cutting and the X-Acto with an extremely blunt blade for scoring. Here is my printer:-

20160219_134455.jpg

I'll be starting on the second of the four wings soon, and I'll try to post a few photos as that develops.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Beyond excellent! When you can take a picture of a model bigger than you could see it in person, and it looks flawless, that says it all. Flawless craftsmanship. :)

cdwheatley

Apr 13, 2008
Thank you zathros :).

I forgot to say where I got this model from! You can buy it here PIRATE SITE....LINK REMOVED....ZATHROS There's also an R2-D2 model for sale there too, so I bought that as well!

The designer, NAME REMOVED, recommends 200gsm card for his models but I only had 160gsm to hand. This is fine for most of the parts, but on some of the really big ones there's a bit of sagging and bowing involved - nothing major, but if I were to build it again I would choose slightly thicker card or possibly use the same card as I've done here but build it at half it's original size. Even then it would still be a size-able model at 13 inches long!

Last edited by a moderator:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Your model is coming out superb.

I have to say that I find it quite disgusting that this person would sell a model that he has absolutely no right to sell. It is people like him that jeopardize this whole hobby. If he needs to pay bills, then he needs to get a job.

Without having permission from the copyright holders is theft, and piracy, of the worse kind. Therefore, I am removing the link from your post. It is not a reflection of you. He took advantage of you. You could have obtained Imcold's model for free, which is of better quality, and had someone upscale it, if you wanted it bigger. This guy is a pirate, and a thief. We do not allow links to commercial sites, and people who charge for models to which they have no right, well, he won't get any advertising here. What he does is a slap in the face of all the designers of this forum who offer up their works FREELY. He is not worthy of this forum.

Please, continue you build, I want to see your expertise. Normally, I would not allow this kind of build to continue, but you made an honest mistake. His comments on his website about no telling what programs he uses is a laugh, when I teach CAD to anyone who asks and make parts for anyone who asks, and I have never asked for a penny. That guy and his forum bothers the Hell out of me.

cdwheatley

Apr 13, 2008
I apologise for including a link to a commercial site as I didn't realise that's not allowed, but I'm really confused now. Did you look at the same website I created the link to?! I'm pretty sure the person who I bought this model from is a reputable seller. You've made a pretty strong accusation, do you have any proof to back up your claim that he's a pirate and a thief?!

I won't be posting any more photos.

Last edited:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
I agree with Zathros. This guy does not have licence or rights from Disney to MAKE his own Star Wars models FOR SEEL. It is not cheap and with lot of free and better paper model on same subject such investment would probably never return. You can try to ask him.;)

Please, as Zathros wrote, post your build photos. It is not your fault, you just bought it. Your model is realy nice.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I once asked the same question and got an answer like this: "He is not making Star Wars models but models inspired by Star Wars", followed by a ";)" . (Please do not ask who gave me that answer and where, and do not comment on that answer. )

So with this statement in mind I guess that I am making something wrong by making models inspired by BSG - and not charging a Penny for it...:Smartass:

JUST KIDDING, FOLKS! ;) I agree with zathros and bigpetr. Just go ahead and post the pics (your fault shalt be forgiven ;) ). However, I too think that there are no rights involved to sell that model (and the droid he has made). If Disney gets to know about this I assume this going to happen with him:

:ass-kicking::cool:

cdwheatley

Apr 13, 2008
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that he'd stolen the designs for his models from someone else and was passing them off as his own.

Personally, I don't see that he's done much wrong, although Disney might possibly disagree with that. I was quite happy to pay for his models, they're well designed and go together without any problems. He states quite clearly that they're inspired by Star Wars, even though in essence they ARE models of an X-Wing and R2-D2.

I'm sure I've seen an X-Wing model for sale on another site too.

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that he'd stolen the designs for his models from someone else and was passing them off as his own.

Personally, I don't see that he's done much wrong, although Disney might possibly disagree with that. I was quite happy to pay for his models, they're well designed and go together without any problems. He states quite clearly that they're inspired by Star Wars, even though in essence they ARE models of an X-Wing and R2-D2.

I'm sure I've seen an X-Wing model for sale on another site too.

That's not the point, and the fact you are willing to pay a thief only enables him to continue.

I do not release my models because of these kind of faulty reasoning. I will help anyone with there's, but you won't get any of mine, and I have some beauties, but I do not trust, because just when you think, "O.K., I'll release it, you come across an illogical, ill conceived line of reasoning. All works are derivative, but it it is a military ship/vehicle/airplane, and it is not recent, of, if that model is of an American object, I being an American citizen, have the right to produce, and sell that model, as my tax dollars paid for the design. When you get into Science Fiction, you paid for nothing, except the privilege to watch the movie.

I think that should wrap up this issue, we will now let's drop it, or the thread gets closed.

@cdwheatley, please, continue building and posting the model, but do not give the link to anyone, not even in P.M.'s. What you do off this forum is your business. Everything is fine. :)

Last edited: