Star Wars Y-wing /my design/ 1:48

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
I wanted to have lower and upper skin in one piece. I give it several attempts before give up. Its compound shape made waves when assembled:

y-wing - 005 - forehead test build.jpg

So upper and lower skin have to be split in two parts. When carefuly assembled and burnished, joints are not so noticeable. Texture will also help to hide them, because they are placed at paneling lines:

y-wing - 006 - forehead test build.jpg

y-wing - 007 - forehead test build.jpgy-wing - 008 - forehead test build.jpg

Rest of the craft is piece of cake - boxes nad cones:), except of eggshaped engine tips. Unfortunately they are prominent parts of this craft visualy. I will not bother with it now, it will come later.

Last edited:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
As with all SW models, there is mismatch between model cockpit and 1:1 movie set cockpit.

Model cockpit:
hqdefault.jpg

Set cockpit:
hqdefault 3.jpg

Plan was to do set cockpit, I did the same with X-wing. But I hate its worst stupidity - pilot can not reach front half of the cockpit, as you can see on this diagram:
y_wing__cockpit__by_duncansguide-comparison.jpg

My current plan is to take scale model cockpit configuration, but use panels from movie set cockpit. Practicly it means to move front panel towards the pilot, so he can reach it. I would also like to incorporate some elements from X-wing game cockpit to front panel, because this panel element have practical purpouse so you can reasonably flight it in the game:
6304-6-star-wars-x-wing-collector.jpg

What do you think quys? What do you want to see?

Last edited:

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
TIE Fighter was the first PC game I owned :) I loved the Missile boat's SLAM engines, to quote Jeremy Clarkson, "POWWEEERRRR!!!"

Tonino

... I would also like to incorporate some elements from X-wing game cockpit ...

SIGH!!! A tear falling from my eyes... I feel so nostalgic... how many hours spent destroying joysticks... Good old days when I was the one getting scolded with "Stop playing!!" yell from my mother... and now I am the one supposed to say the same things to my sons (but I would like to grab that joystick again instead...)

Well... this is not what I wanted to say... I started this post to express my great admiration to @bigpetr for this wonderful engineering effort.
The shape of the cabin is going to be a real beauty. The fitting is perfect. Can't wait to see what are you going to do with that cockpit ;)

I'll be sticked to this one, the start is promising really great things...

Great project, go on BigP! We all are here sitting in front of your desktop waiting for news! :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
@Tonino , I completely identify with the parental role in gaming. <sigh> Kids are enjoying the Xbox they got for Christmas. Daddy wants to finish Forza 6.... (I know it's old ;))

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I wanted to have lower and upper skin in one piece. I give it several attempts before give up. Its compound shape made waves when assembled:

View attachment 164346

So upper and lower skin have to be split in two parts. When carefuly assembled and burnished, joints are not so noticeable. Texture will also help to hide them, because they are placed at paneling lines:

View attachment 164347

View attachment 164349

View attachment 164348

Rest of the craft is piece of cake - boxes nad cones:), except of eggshaped engine tips. Unfortunately they are prominent parts of this craft visualy. I will not bother with it now, it will come later.

There's nothing wrong with cutting the pieces at the panel lines. That's what they represent anyways, and you actually get a better textured surface. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I saw a special on Star Trek and other Sci-Fi model making on T.V. 20 years or so ago, where they used the handles of two Schick disposable handles to work into engine nacelles. The model makers said they used whatever looked good, not worrying about "reality" as it was all fake anyways. I wish I could remember of the shuttle. :)

F131

F131
Nice start to this model. Playing Battlefront 2 and the Y-Wing is my ship of choice.....until somebody uploads a B-Wing mod.

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Thank You. Pity that Y-wing from BF2 is not as accurate as X-wing, Tie-Fighter or A-wing. It would be great reference for me then.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
@bigpetr , from what I've seen the more "arcade" style games (BattleFront, etc) lack things like cockpit details, etc. Sims pay a lot more attention to this :). So, while it's all "fake", as Zathros says, I would automatically lean towards the X-Wing/TIE Fighter/X-Wing Alliance examples :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I agree. Most fighting unit have similar setups for inter 0perability. :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
BattleFront 2 has spot on cockpit details for Tie-Fighter, X-wing, A-wing and Y-wing (I did not check other crafts) as seen in the movie. So it is bunch of stuff placed together to look good (questionable:)). All useful fly data are placed around the edge of the monitor, because there is no place for them:).

So my front console is based on games design. As you suggest It makes more sense :)