Star Wars A-wing / Shunichi Makino + heavy mods/ 1:48

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Hello friends,

As you probably know (thanks to our Revell-Fan) Shunichi Makino is upgrading his amazing A-wing model right now: http://www.zealot.com/threads/revised-a-wing-by-shunichi-makino.180331/page-2#post-1025626

And because I just can not wait any longer, I started to experiment with his old version. This way I can build parts he did not modified now and later use modified parts from new version (cerected engines and cockpit).

Hopefuly it will looks something like this when I am done:)

20180914085331-334375.jpg

So what will I do? What is the plan?

First thing is to scale down the model. Because A-wing is one of many Star Wars vehicle with uncertain and changing dimensions we have few possible versions. Official length of "real" craft today is 9,6m. It is cca 20cm in 1:48 scale and it is the way Shunichi Makino design it).

But for some fans (me included) this is way to big. Because if you look closely on original model photo with pilot figurine you will see it is no way that long. So I scale Snunichi Makinos model down to 60 percent of its original size. My model will be cca 12cm long in 1:48 scale:

Top is original model, bottom is scale down model:
20180712164653-332275.jpg
Original:
20180712164655-332276.jpg

Scale down to 60 percent:
20180712164656-332277.jpg

This are also my test buils to bring little more curvature to the model, because some parts looks too flat to me and can be easily curved. I will also do little proportion changes here and there and finaly I will try to make weathered look by myself.

Shunichi Makino did all the heavy lifting to wonderfully design this model. Thank you for good work master.:bowdown:

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Very interesting premise! I'm hooked. ;)
But for some fans (me included) this is way to big. Because if you look closely on original model photo with pilot figurine you will see it is no way that long. So I scale Snunichi Makinos model down to 60 percent of its original size. My model will be cca 12cm long in 1:48 scale:
That's the reason why some regard the Bandai A-Wing as 1:48 and not 1:72 as stated on the box. Inserting a 1:48 pilot really makes a difference and takes the model much closer to the filming miniature. Of course thereare others claiming Bandai's measurements are correct and the pilot in the miniature is in fact a giant with amputated knees... :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This looks really good! I look forward to seeing how it will turn out. I will be following this thread!

johnmiic

That's terrific. In the newer versions of this fighter they've made it flatter and taken all the curves out of it for some reason.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That's terrific. In the newer versions of this fighter they've made it flatter and taken all the curves out of it for some reason.

May be part of the infectious dumb'em down process that infects some people. Not sure. ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The new texture looks awesome! How did you produce the straight-on view of the upper side?

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Thank you :).

All greebles will be there Rhaven, I 3d modeled them all to see how detailed they can be in that scale:
A-wing details modeled.jpg

Revell-Fan, if you mean the shape of top upper part I took Makinos part and modified it according the few testbuils I did. They can be seen in previous posts. If you mean texture it is composite of multiple photos of original model, all colorcorected to match each other and carefuly placed and distorted to match my 2d pattern. It was also wery important to erase all cast shadows and object shadings made by different surface orientation. Otherwise it would look fake on build model, because it will produce its own real shadows. I can write more details on that if you are interested.

Last edited:

starbuck

looking spectacular - I built the original model and did a manual weathering - it was great but with these new details it will get extraodinaire
thumbs up!!

Last edited:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Hello Friends
very small update just to let you know this project does not sleep. This is qick testbuild of inner parts of engines:
20181201150516-338121.jpg

Texturing is almost done. Only back of the ship left. Now I am working on cockpit interior. Recently I found some new info on cockpit so I need to redo some parts.

Last edited: