Star Trek: TOS:- "The Enterprise Incident" Diorama - micro build log

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I heard it!!! get jimmy with the flaming bagpipes to play that ! then auction off this diorama to the highest bidder!!!
seriously, that is great, I have dreamt of that being done for years now. I have a few other ideas, like all those romulan birds of prey I mentioned, a doomsday machine, and maybe a crashed rom bop into the enterprise- [written in but taken out later by gene] from the balance of terror. the inflatable balloon enterprise from the TAS, and maybe a Klingon bop , whales and the golden gate bridge background with water and them floating in it. oh, yes, and the most important on of all, a speaker that looks like the guardian of forever, that flashes to the sound like an equalizer-[easy to do]. I have thought of a tholian over lay web, complete with a green glowing defiant, but that's too much all at once. glad to get that all off my chest, maybe some will be an inspiration for others, lol. im trying to work in the enterprise c with a couple of warbirds and flashers just to show off a couple of romulans and the 1701-c, maybe in a month. you have really got me going on this micro diorama stuff. I would rather learn cad and do odd jobs instead for right now. im kind of waiting for a job I was promised to open up, but a lawsuit they are in has delayed me almost a year so far. keep your eye on my posts, there are a few ships I cleaned up and will be posting once im sure im completely done, lol.

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
@spaceagent-9 lmao! Slow down there! :D I was thinking of a Doomsday Machine scene a few months ago and worked out that I'd need to have an extension built on the house to fit one in, even with the Enterprise and Constellation at 2" - lol. I built a larger Tholian Web with the Tholians at 3/4", the Enterprise and a green overlayed Defiant at 8" - it could possibly just be scaled down, although I reckon the webspinners would have to be around 1/8"... I really like the Golden Gate idea, however water is a huge problem for me. I tried to simulate water in a much larger scale Gaulish village for 25mm Asterix figures and it ended up looking pathetic. I'm going to keep it in mind though - plastic or lead humpbacks should be easy enough to get hold of, and there's bound to be a pattern somewhere for a paper Golden Gate Bridge. I always check your posts :), here, on facebook and in paper modelers. I downloaded your Klingon bop ages ago and I'm itching to have a go at it. In the meantime I still have Version 2 and Version 2A of The Enterprise Incident to finish off...

With the wing sections built on both D7s I cut all the tiny pieces:-
15.JPG
and fitted everything together:-
16.JPG
leaving the nacelles and command module to be built tomorrow. I forgot that I had a fibre optic filament to thread through one of them so that should try my patience no end ;). I should easily manage to complete the D7s tomorrow and start on the bop. Version 2A was started on Saturday, but I'm still keeping that as a wee surprise :p.

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
@spaceagent-9 I've been waiting ages for this - "It's life Jim, but not as we know it!" ;) Many thanks for the Tholians :) I will indeed use the purple ones for a "Tholian Web" diorama :D

The grey D7s have been built:-
17.JPG
Now onto the bird of prey:-
18.JPG
Partially built it looked like this:-
19.JPG
And with all three built and mounted we have "The Enterprise Incident" Mk II:-
20.JPG
And finally, "The Enterprise Incident" II-A:-
21.JPG
The surprise I was working on was my attempt at a cloaked D7, using battery packaging, a tiny piece of fibre optic filament and a trimmed dud LED:-
22.JPG
I forgot the episodes of CSI that show how latent fingerprints are brought up with superglue fumes, hence the opacity, but all in all it's come out fairly well.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
absolutely fantastic!!! wow! what a great idea for the little nacelle globes on the rombop!
im glad that you liked the tholians. I never would of thought of a transparent Klingon like that what a cool idea! whatta great job on this. thank you.

Reactions: zathros

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I want to see your magical shrinking, diorama making machine! It's only fair!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
If I could I would give you ten "Likes" for the cloaked D7! It looks as elegant as a dragonfly. What kind of paper did you use for it?

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
@Revell-Fan Thank-you very much :). The 'paper' is the packaging for a battery. Superglue brought out all my fingerprints over it and made much of it opaque. When I tried to dismantle a circuit board covered in LEDs the soldering iron fried them so I cut the top off one and used it for the command module. The last part was a 2mm length of 1mm fibre optic filament for the 'turret' on top of the bridge. I laid the plastic packing over spaceagent-9's D7 template and cut each piece to avoid having pen lines. Some parts were easy to score, fold and stick with PVA, others needed superglue because the plastic refused to stay curved.

battelcrab

Feb 21, 2014
It is very cool to see the dioramas and know how small the are. With my finger i can only build things a least three to four times bigger. Very impressive.

Reactions: linweseregon

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Fantastic! What I most like is your creativity. Look around searching for inspiration in objects that most of the people would drop in the trash bin and transform them into absolutely original piece of art! Wonderful! This is the thing that let you say: "Why didn't I have this idea before?"

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The "fumes" of SuperGlue ( and many other glues) discolor clear plastic too. I wonder if coating them with Vaseline, then cleaning them afterwards would help. ZIP DRY does not discolor any parts that you use, but it really is a mechanical connection, and is not as strong as plastic glue or cyanoacrylates. I have had this happen on cockpits I have molded, it is such a bummer! :)