Star Trek IV:- "Delivering Humpbacks" Diorama - micro build log

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
I spent an hour on the probe today. The most fiddly bit was the ball since I had to cut loads of tiny, tiny rhomboid bits of blue coloured card and stick them on a globe of blu tac:-
16.JPG
I rolled a tube of card and cut a hole in it near the front before running some white thread through the ball and the top of the tube. I printed off some pics of the probe and stuck sections around the tube then inserted three clear LEDs in a card cone glued over the hole, and finally stuck another printed texture section across the front end - the back had to be left open to give access to the wiring. I suspended the finished probe from a standard lamp (just for the photo - it'll hang from the bottom of a shelf in my room) using black thread. The bop was placed on two wires pushed through the base, with the LED wiring providing the extra support.
17.JPG
18.JPG

19.JPG
20.JPG
The bridge looks like it's in the middle of an earthquake, but I'm going to take poetic licence and say that that's the disruptive effect of the cetacean probe ;).

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
that is so completely cool!!!
the amount of work you put into these is really admirable. the best dioramas I have ever [scene]! im sure all those ww2 guys who make war dio's are envious too!
your stuff belongs in a star trek museum or movie theater display.
totally impressed!

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
@spaceagent-9 Aww shucks Jim [blush] thank-you :)

I'll be starting on The Trouble With Tribbles tomorrow. I have your D7, Glen Jupp's Enterprise and D-Whale's K-7 printed off and close enough to being in scale for my needs.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
OMG!! I blinked, and you built a diorama!?! I don't know what you do for a living, but they really must be blind if they aren't seeing you proficient nature. It would not surprise me at all if you were your own boss. I really like your dioramas, as they are dynamic. You could experiment with trapezoidal boxes for backgrounds, as the objects in the background could be much smaller in scale, but the smaller background, with the shape of the box leading to them, would give that distance effect. I hope I explained that right?

In any event, great, stupendous effort and realization. You keep pushing the bar up higher ! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
You have done a SPECTACULAR JOB on this project!!!
I like how you were able to capture the scene PERFECTLY!!!

I am looking forward to seeing your next project!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Exactly! This is what I had in mind with the space probe. It looks beautiful! And it still fits into your living room! :D

linweseregon

Nov 23, 2013
Scotland
@zathros lol - I have loads of time on my hands - I can't work because I'm not quite 100% sane ;). I understand perfectly what you mean with your background description - if I need to build any more 17km probes I'll keep it in mind - lol. Thank-you yet again for all the compliments :D

@Rhaven Blaack Many thanks Rhaven :). The next one is already on the cards and I'll be starting the new thread in a mo'.

@Revell-Fan Many thanks to you too :). My shrink ray strikes again - lol