Star Trek Cadet series

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member

Hello again, with my scratch build "plastic" Tardis on hold while I scrounge more parts, I've decided to start a plastic kit.

It's AMT's Cadet Series Star Trek TMP 3 ship set in 1:2500 scale
1383671_588537554539886_921150201_n.jpg

I started with the Enterprise Refit and built the major assemblies and got the first coat of paint applied.
20131020_162414.jpg

and The Klingon K'T'Inga built and the first coat.
20131020_182338.jpg

That's as far as I got before the light left, so more on the morrow.

Thanks

Bhelliom

I just saw this one in our local hobby shop last Friday. I would have gotten one, but its way beyond my means at the moment. I like it better when I thought that the Cadet Series was just reissues of the old 3-piece sets. I'm assuming in this one, only the E-Refit is from the old kit, with the other 2 being new. I'll be watching with interest.

Scott K.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I jused to make injjection molds. They are horrifically expensive to make, and quite time consuming. I think that is why such few really "New' plastic models are made or are made to such low quality, in my opinion. I have around 10 models, still new in the box, that I could build, but do not. I have two of those huge Monoram Jaguar XKE's, they go for around $250+ on Ebay. One, still plastic wrapped, and one that I built very little of. I even have an original, still in the box Renwahl Visible V-8, which I have been offered ridiculous prices for. I will pass this stuff onto my son.

Some of these, actually, many of these, plastic models make excellent reference for paper models, which is a good thing. :)

micahrogers

Staff member
I just saw this one in our local hobby shop last Friday. I would have gotten one, but its way beyond my means at the moment. I like it better when I thought that the Cadet Series was just reissues of the old 3-piece sets. I'm assuming in this one, only the E-Refit is from the old kit, with the other 2 being new. I'll be watching with interest.

Scott K.

even the refit is a new mold for the Cadet Series, it's also used as the E-A in the E-Nil, E-A, - three ship set. The old 1:2500 refit mold had panel detail, and the new mold is smooth all the detail is decals.
and another update , the Reliant is made in sub-assemblies and ready for paint.

20131020_200744.jpg

And Zathros, there are a few new molds coming out, Look at the Polar Lights 1:350 TOS Enterprise. a beautiful kit.
but out of my price range.

Thanks

mcusanelli

Micah,
You're right, there are plenty of new mold sci fi kits coming out these days, and the quality has gotten to be fantastic. They are not cheap, as Zathros pointed out, and I agree it's a tough situation for many modelers including me, these days. I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty decent stash, so I go back and forth from plastic to paper depending on my interest at the time. One thing that helps is that my local hobby store has become a kind of consignment shop, so many people bring their old kits in to sell, which helps him out, as well as providing a treasure trove of older hard to find kits. He will also take kits in trade, so that has allowed me to pick up some of the new Moebius BSG kits I wouldn't have been able to afford, and help out an old friend who's trying to stay in business. Even he can't afford to carry many of the newest kits, as the cost to him has gotten to high to take a chance on something not selling.

micahrogers

Staff member
I know that song well, I watched three LHS's go down the drain in Mississippi. The Local HobbyTown USA here is a 30 min drive away, but is the largest in USA, two rows of sci fi, wo hoo. I buy my paints and glues and supplies from them and when I can afford it, a kit.

micahrogers

Staff member
All Them Decals :)

here is a pic of the decal sheet for this kit,
20131021_214439.jpg
all the panels, and the "Aztecing" are represented by the decals.

mcusanelli

My LHS is a tiny one man operation, I've known him for 33 years. I wonder how much longer he'll be able to keep his doors open......The only other real hobby store is about 40 min. away, and has so many kits I almost go into shock every time I go there. Floor to ceiling, and out into the aisles. My lovely wife takes me there for birthdays, Christmas and anniversaries....This year she picked up the 1/350 Enterprise refit box and said, ''Happy Birthday!'' The closest a model ever came to bringing tears to my eyes! I'm a pretty lucky guy:)

micahrogers

Staff member
And the Devils in...

The details,
I forgot to take step by step pics but here is my progress for today.

The Reliant is base coated and paint details added to pieces of all three ships.
Black, and Copper,details painted on Enterprise and Reliant Nacelles, and Medium Grey details painted on Reliant and K'T'Inga hulls.
20131022_160947.jpg
More to come.

Thanks

micahrogers

Staff member
Ohhh... Shiney.

And for today, The update is...
20131025_221048.jpg
The gloss coat is on and decals start tomorrow.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Micah,
One thing that helps is that my local hobby store has become a kind of consignment shop, so many people bring their old kits in to sell, which helps him out, as well as providing a treasure trove of older hard to find kits. He will also take kits in trade, so that has allowed me to pick up some of the new Moebius BSG kits I wouldn't have been able to afford, and help out an old friend who's trying to stay in business. Even he can't afford to carry many of the newest kits, as the cost to him has gotten to high to take a chance on something not selling.
That is a fantastic idea. I wished it could be possible in my town. Within the last few years nearly ALL shops stopped offering plastic model kits because of the lack in demand. Even cheap kits are not bought any longer because the interests have changed. Kids of today prefer PC games and Playstation to model building which is very sad. I got into paper modeling when I was desperately looking for the Buck Rogers Thunderfighter and the Voyager which I was unable to get in plastic form. I am glad that I have encountered this hobby because it enables me to quickly set up and build own models which are nowhere else available or too expensive to afford.

However, I will definitely get one of the new Moebius TOS Galactica, Cylon Raider and Colonial Viper kits! :thumb:

mcusanelli

RF,
It's a sad thing, isn't it? When I was a kid in the '70's I loved plastic models (Never got over that!) But back then, I could walk around the corner and get Monogram kits for under $2 bucks. I would save my allowance to build my squadron, I must have built all the 1/48 kits they had available, ans every kid I knew had at least a small interest in modeling. Flash forward to 2013, and the kits I loved are still available, especially on e-bay, but they're way above the means of any kid, and a lot of us non-well-to-do grown ups. What really makes me mad is when I see the efforts of some companies to attract kids into modeling - expensive, small, pre-painted, snap together junk, that wouldn't keep any kid busy for more than a half hour. There is no emphasis on creativity with one's hands or brain with this junk. I really am thankful that I found this community - Fascinating, smart and affordable!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You are correct, mc. BTW, I have chosen my nick because I grew up with Revell / Monogram kits (I am in no way affiliated with them and I don't get paid by them ;-) ). I enjoyed (and still enjoy) them very much. My fascination has never ceased. Concerning the snap-tite kits which are so popular nowadays: Some consider them to be of lesser quality because they are targeted at kids. I do not share this opinion. These kits can be enhanced and turned into great display models (you surely have to remove that ugly "weathering" on the Star Wars kits though!). But as soon as creativity, logistics and money is concerned, a paper model is unbeatable. And now back to the cadets, please! ;-)

micahrogers

Staff member
and the decals start

The decals are the details on this kit.
The detail painting finished and the big details are on,
20131027_215258.jpg

and the K'T'Inga is fully decaled and ready for final flat coat.
The k'T'Inga only had 9 decals
20131030_134223.jpg
and bottom
20131030_134244.jpg
and next starts all the little decals on the Enterprise and Reliant.

micahrogers

Staff member
Thanks R-F the little K'T'Inga is kinda cute.
I just got it flat coated and started on the E-Refit's topside.
The E-refit has 41 decals, 9 on the pop of the saucer alone.
20131030_150133.jpg

while these set good I've started the secondary hulls decals.

micahrogers

Staff member
and yes, that saucer section is only a little over 2 1/4 inches across...

micahrogers

Staff member
These are looking fantastic!!! Especially the Reliant with those aztecs on it, wow!

Thanks, the Reliant will have 29 decals in all, I can't wait for the brand new tool, 1:1000 Reliant to come out.

and here are a couple natural light pics of the K'T'Inga ready for the glow effect in the impulse engines and photon torpedo emitter.

20131030_170050.jpg

and bottom
20131030_170105.jpg

and side
20131030_170124.jpg

and back
20131030_170139.jpg

the bright silver is the bottom coat for my clear red coat that will make the impulse engines and torpedo launcher "glow"

and finally the first 4 decals on the Refit secondary hull.
20131030_170157.jpg
thanks again.