Star Lancer Basilisk - Beta Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gomidefilho, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Hello!

I began my assembly of the fighter of the Coalition Basilisk type today, extracted of the great simulator of space combat of Microsoft Star Lancer. I thank Millenium Falcon sincerely for the possibility of building that model in first hand, for who wants to accompany the initial discussion as well as other assemblies of models of the it game suggest to look that thread: http://forum.zealot.com/t152503/

The model is in a close of 1/72 scale and he has few pieces in a total of 5 pages with direct textures of the game, one of my suggestions to enhance the details was to apply some treatment in the colors for leaving more alive and apparent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The beginning of the work in this project, impression of the file in format PDO in my printer Epson C65 in way of impression of photographic quality in opaline paper thickness 180g.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My construction began for the more part obviates, the cockpit and the nose, here we see the construction of the cockpit, without larger problems...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nose is a piece that demands a more little from attention, I began to build her for back and for the bass part, after having concluded it was just necessary to enclose the cockpit to the nose, the problem in general is that you ask modulated are with some openings that can be colored with pencil or pastels like you can see in the pictures.

Well for the time being it is that, tomorrow new progresses in the front cannons and in the central section of the fuselage. :wave:
  2. Gearz

Gearz Member

Looking good Péricles :thumb:
  3. stackw

stackw Highly Dangerous Mind...

Doing fine, professor!
    can't wait to see it completed!
    :D
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Me niether. :wink: Lookin' great so far!
  5. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Thank you people for their incentive words! :mrgreen: :thumb:

Continuing the work in Basilisk bent and I built the mounts of the cannons and their pipes as we can see for the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we see the sequence of assembly of the mounts of the cannons, those pieces demand a little attention, mainly in the fold sequence and construction, to facilitate I would recommend that the faces that are open as arms in the picture Basilisk 92 (the unfolded piece) they were united to the opposite side, because it would be easier to build...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the other part of the group of the cannons being built, without any problem, in the second picture the two concluded groups waiting for us to be glue to the nose...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished stage, we can pass now for other parts of the model.

For the time being it is that friends, today I should begin to build the central section of the fighter as well as their wings, it is being a very interesting model and in "scale" terms very close of the size of my model of Phoenix http://forum.zealot.com/t135407/

Cheers! :wave:
  6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

man you do great work!!
  7. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Well friends more progresses in Basilisk

Here you see the piece that now I had more problems in the hour of building, the central and inferior section of the fuselage with the inferior part of the wings. Somebody should be wondering: "why not to separate the wings?" However if the wings were separate would not have contact area for glue, but for the pictures I am going posting the progresses and also the difficulties...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the forms of the pieces we can see that the work and plenty complex, the lines in the part of the texture are hardly visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I began for the part of behind of the piece, the first difficulty was in reproducing the frame of the extractor fan, it would recommend to separate this piece of the group in these two pictures can see that concluded part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the sequence of assembly of the inferior fuselage, look that the white part is a structure module for other pieces that compose the part from the fuselage, the lines in the white part should not be unknown and they need to be bent for us to be glue in the formers is a lot of necessary attention for not committing mistakes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final part of the sequence of assembly of that piece and also the more critic and the junction of the inferior part with the superior structure, here is the great difficulty, the glue tabs are too small for the larger part of the structure, the one that finishes provoking sliding in the hour of the collage and alignment mistakes, I had to unstick three times one on the sides to get right...:cry:wall1

In the moment those are the progresses, I hope to post again at the most in two days the construction of the wings of the air intakes and of the superior part of the fuselage.

:wave:
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks for the notes, Gomidefilho! I'm jotting them down for the first revision.

In regards to the non-seperated white piece: I left it that way to avoid confusion as to where it goes, but I think if I put the flap on the exterior piece it will help. Also, in the fourth picture I noticed that the flaps on the white part would probably work better on the other side, so the piece doesn't slip below the edge.

In regards to the flap size: I tried to make them all the right sizes, but if they could be bigger without upsetting the assembly of the model, I'll up-size them. On newer models I've been making flaps that connect to large pieces be themselves larger so as to provide more surface contact.

In regards to the extractor fan: I'll seperate it.

In regards to the line color: I decided to leave them dark so as to not obscure the detail. I can make a "Lines" version with white lines and a "No-lines" version with no lines at all. Most, if not all, of the ships in Starlancer are this dark(what better way to camoflauge a space-ship than to paint it a dark color?), so they'll all have to be printed at a lighter color, if possible.
  9. Gearz

Gearz Member

coming along nicely !
  10. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Millenium Falcon

In the general the model is with an good engineering of assembly, I consider those difficulties that I had up to now small. Until it could modify the tab of the connection of the white part quickly, but I chose in building the model "as of the box." In relationship the fold lines that is always an unpleasant subject in the model, when I project my own ones in general I offer versions with lines and without lines, to guide me in the case of the Basilisk setup the options in Pepakura for for a white bottom in the lines, to guide me in relation to the creases and folds I consider that that model needs an equal manual to be built, and in the case my pictures are the disposition.
    The only modification even that I think should take into account is really the one of the exaust fan would be very interesting he to be separate from the group...

Today I should begin the work in the air intakes and in the superior part of the wings... :thumb:
  11. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Good friends!

The amusement continues with the model of Basilisk :mrgreen:

Among yesterday and today I finished the assembly of the main components of the central section of the fuselage, and that time didn't have great problems with the assembly of the parts in spite of thinking some things in the model in this stage can be refined. We are going the pictures and the pertinent comments. :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In these pictures we see already built the back repair of AA back turret and the part from the fuselage. Although it is not necessary would recommend the separation of the repair of the larger piece and this yes a necessary measure the change of the size of the collage tabs because to glue it was necessary to cut pieces for them could make comfortable.

[​IMG]

As curiosity a shot that my wife did of one of my techniques to color white lines and edges, in the case with a color pencil. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we see the central section of the fuselage with the top part and the fit in repair. I found brilliant the idea of MF of to modulate the low part with a great reinforcement and to do the top of the piece if it fits for top and for two transversal sections, why as a form works to align the reinforcement and the fitting of the wings...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This small piece unites the "head" of the model to the central group of the fuselage, I admit that I didn't like her drained, I think should have a whole face why is the collage area in front small with the inferior part of the group of the cockpit, besides lacking a tab of collage thing easily resolved...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we see the two concluded groups and united, this stage was concluded without problems, however with the piece that guarantees the union of the fuselage with the cockpit that we showed above he has a very small area, to avoid desaling and very big openings I ended up falling back upon the use of cianocrilate glue, for that that would recommend a revision in this piece, besides they exist two triangles that I begin they are her part of the collage area but that are without any fitting and of a texturized face that doesn't have usefulness being possible for being in the contact area with the glue you discard her.
    In spite of in some points for the pictures the glue to have been slippery with a layer of matt acrylic varnish these problems they will disappear...

Next steps:

Air intakes and finally the wings!!! sign1:wave:
  12. Millenniumfalsehood

Notes and pictures: I love your build-up so far, Pericles'! :D I look forward to the model's completion so that I can make the final version.
  13. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Friends

After a small hiatus we are back with the construction of Basilisk with some reverses... :cry:

I committed some mistakes in the sequence of assembly of the pieces and the group of the intakes is the more problem of whole the model. But we are going the pictures and the comments...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They remember that I complained of the parts leaked here in the union of the neck with the fuselage are the pieces that reinforce the group with everything mounted, because then first mistake was very difficult to put that piece that one of the internal walls of the intake in the right place, they were openings...wall1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The intakes are a piece that needs a serious revision recommend to separate the internal part of the external is still more very difficult glue the vertexes in paper thickness in the order from 120 to 180g gave plenty of work to leave the presentable pieces. Notice in the it finishes picture an opening that was of the union of the wing in the fuselage, that was because of the façeses in white that they give support, but it was a mistake mine of fold, the solution in this case and in others that will appear in them sequence of pictures it is to print a second set to supply with mendings those parts... wall1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We see the sequence of pictures of the assembly of the wing, those pieces in spite of having complex folds no present great difficulties, in spite that had to use the model 3D in Pepakura to guide me, again I say again that it is necessary Assembly Instruction for this model. The most complicated is glue the wing in the fuselage, first if glue the wing in the central section later the attack board and finally the bass texture but because of some mistakes that I committed had some surprises happy like you they will see in the pictures below as openings and rifts that will have to be covered with painting and mendings...wall1:cry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:(

Other pictures of the model almost concluded...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe that on this weekend I should conclude this model besides with the repairs, finishing touches and construction of a display for him, the worst already passed... :thumb: :wave:
  14. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

Hi Pericles, Great looking build. I like the Starlancer designs. Are you intending to do any more of them?
  15. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Thanks!

Well I am not me Designer, who projected the model was Milleniumfalsehood advise to take a look in that thread http://forum.zealot.com/t152503 / for the that I know Millenium it intends to make available the models as soon as the beta testers return...
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Gomidefilho is correct, I'm the designer. :wink: I intend to unfold all the major ships in the game, and probably some of the stations as well(It would be cool to have Fort Baxter and the CS Ramases together in a diorama depicting the destruction of Baxter, for instance).

I should mention that a majority of the problems you've encountered so far is caused by panels that refused to join in Pepakura, so I had to manually attach them to the bigger pieces. I might have forgotten to put flaps on a few of them.
  17. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Millenium.

The level of the model is good in terms of assembly engineering, more of the half of the mistakes that I committed they were produced by misunderstandings in the assembly sequence, the two only pieces of this finish stage that I believe that they should be gotten better even are the intakes and that piece that it unites the head to the rest of the fuselage, today I painted with acrylic paint all the amendments and intend to accomplish grafts with pieces of a second impression to cover openings, starting from that the model is being very presentable...
  18. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Finished!!!!!

Well friends

Here we have the final sequence of assembly of Basilisk, we will show the construction of the engines of the wings of the cannons maser here, and of the AA turret. I liked a lot of building that model and I believe that with small corrections in the pepakura him if it turns a very pleasant piece of being built...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The assembly of the naceles of the engines, this piece just has a small mistake, she doesn't have tabs for glue in the top part in the white area, what hinders her fixation later in the wings as we are seeing in the pictures with the unfolded piece and concluded, an optional item of revision in this part of the model is the exaust fans that could be separate, if no, it owes if it recommends in the instructions that the engine begins to be built by that part...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To vary because of my own mistakes I had some difficulties in glue the naceles in the wings, they were surpluses of white area, that or they will be painted or filled out with mendings...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we see the assembly sequence the cannons maser and of the back turret, without serious difficulties in this final stage...

[​IMG]

The almost ready model just lacks the pedestal and the finishing touches to eliminate white angles and the rifts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That stage is not part of the beta test but it is to illustrate as I use the technique of to mend and to hide openings or angles, in the areas where there are problems if the model is an open PDO is enough to separate the corresponding parts those that it is wanted and to print in a paper of thickness dies (75 or 90g), being able to those pieces be cut or glue in agreement with the need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is finally the ready model with his pedestal...

My final considerations are that it is a very legal and entertaining model of being built, in spite of having small mistakes easily corrected, it would recommend to revise the position of some tabs in the naceles and the size of them in a general way, as well as a position standardization in the pieces (some are in the opposite faces). The making of instructions is important, at least images position from where are going the main components. And I recommend the construction in paper 160g, 180 as I used gives problems mainly with some pieces those modulated (with white faces). Next model: Kurgen.

:wave:
  19. Millenniumfalsehood

Excellent Basilisk Gomidefilho! :D I'll get to work correcting the flaws in the model so it can be presented. I can't wait to see your Kurgen(another member is building one as well. It may help to watch his thread).