Star Fleet Battles card models

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I've been working on a series of models based on the game Star Fleet Battles. I just got the Federation ones done and am starting on the Gorn ones. They're a little plain; I'm going to unfold them in Pep and then texture them in Paint.NET. The Federation ones have the option of either the Pilot-style domes or Series-style.

Federation Early Frigate:

[​IMG]

Federation Police Cutter:

[​IMG]

Federation Police Frigate:

[​IMG]

Federation Old Light Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Federation War Destroyer:

[​IMG]

Federation New Light Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Gorn Police Cutter:

[​IMG]

More to come later! :thumb:
  2. Tirick

Tirick Member

I always wanted to try Star Fleet Battles, but never got the chance. These are neat looking mini's though!
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

If you're not a patient gamer, I would suggest trying out Federation Commander first: same rules, same universe, but *incredibly* streamlined. Realism and tactics necessarily suffer because of this, so SFB is my primary Starfleet game. :mrgreen:

I'm still working on these, but I'm simultaneously trying to get ready for Christmas and work on memorizing the core rules to SFB, so my time is limited.
  4. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

You're not, ah say, you're not wasting time sleeping again are you? Wake up son! Get moving!! :p:mrgreen:
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Am I not entitled to spend a little time with family? :mrgreen:

I'm back to work on the Gorns. Give me a minute . . .
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

Alright, I finished uploading the pics to Photobucket and now have some stuff to show ya:

Gorn Police Frigate:

[​IMG]

Gorn Battle Destroyer:

[​IMG]

Gorn Battle Destroyer (new):

[​IMG]

Gorn Frigate:

[​IMG]

Gorn Destroyer:

[​IMG]
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

Major update: I finished the Gorn designs and while I was at it I did the Lyrans:

Gorn Battleship:

[​IMG]

Gorn Command Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Gorn Dreadnaught:

[​IMG]

Gorn Dreadnaught-Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Gorn Heavy Battlecruiser:

[​IMG]

Gorn Heavy Command Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Gorn Heavy Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Gorn Light Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Lyran Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Lyran Destroyer:

[​IMG]

Lyran Dreadnaught:

[​IMG]

Lyran Frigate:

[​IMG]

Lyran War Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Lyran War Destroyer:

[​IMG]
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

Got some more done in the form of the Tholians:

Tholian Dreadnaught:

[​IMG]

Tholian Heavy Cruiser (PC conversion):

[​IMG]

Tholian Heavy Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Tholian Patrol Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Tholian War Cruiser:

[​IMG]

Neo-Tholian Cruiser:

[​IMG]
  9. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Family are those things you live with that distract you from designing and building more models!

Looking good, Millennium. I always did have a soft spot for the TOS era designs.
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks Ekuth. :thumb:

I just made a few more Tholians and started work on the Klingons:

Tholian Destroyer:

[​IMG]

Neo-Tholian Battleship:

[​IMG]

Neo-Tholian Destroyer:

[​IMG]

Neo-Tholian Dreadnaught:

[​IMG]

Klingon G1 Gunboat:

[​IMG]
  11. briannetgirl

briannetgirl New Member

I played a lot of it in the late 80's when I was a HS student. Very fun, made me feel like I was in the Captain's Chair. It's a heavy game though. Lot's of thinking.... and reading...
  12. briannetgirl

briannetgirl New Member

by the way, would these be available as paper models? I'm itching to build most of them!
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

They will. I had to back-burner them due to college courses. Thank my choice to study engineering for that. :rolleyes:
  14. briannetgirl

briannetgirl New Member

OMG I love the old school feel of SFB, and played a LOT of SFB in my HS days... we won't say how long ago that was, just that TSR hadn't come out with 2nd edition AD&D yet...
    Anyway you're doing awsomely, I want to build every one! Franz Joseph wrote the bible for my trekkie experience. And these ships are true to that vision. Nice interpretations of them all! Will you color them from the color charts and emblems that came with the original miniatures?
    Bri
  15. Chrispysurfer

Chrispysurfer Member

I remember my Dad playing this and telling me one day he would let me play. The models were expensive and he didn't want me to break them. So I snuck them out and played with them anyway. Always wanted to play though.
    These models look good! Makes me want to scour the internet for a set of rules....
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

No need to scour; you can actually download the Cadet Game for free. It's basically SFBLite. :wink:

Go to this site:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/playerresources.shtml

And scroll down to the Individual Downloads section and hit the Cadet links. There are four of them, all at the top. It has everything you need to play the game. A few links below that is a PDF of the hex map, but you'll want to print that on a big piece of paper. Or else you can buy a hew map from an online gaming company or else eBay.

The Cadet Game is a solo training game for learning how to control your starship, arm weapons, and perform research on aliens. It even has a robot opponent, designed to play against you as you learn combat. It's no substitute for a live opponent, but it works for training.

I need to find my mouse before I can work on these again. I still have to finish the Romulans, then move on to the other species. I got a new job where I sit at a desk all day waiting on stuff to upload to a network, so I'll have plenty of time to work on these. I figure I might be able to pull off one or two a day. With luck. And plenty of coffee.

Just need to find that darn mouse . . .
  17. THE DC

THE DC Member

How's it going on your models?

Any idea what size they will be?

Slainte'

The DC
  18. Millenniumfalsehood

Well I found my mouse, so I'm thinking about restarting these. Hopefully I'll be able to find a solution to the Romulan Condor dreadnought.

As to the size, it'll vary depending on the model. I want to make them in scale with Rawen's TOS parts so people can build a scaled version of their favorite enemy starship to go with it. One of the largest, the Klingon B-10 Battleship, will be about 12" long or so.
  19. THE DC

THE DC Member

Hmmm...

I remember this game back in the ol' days. Some of the ships were interesting, such as the Orion fleet. The use of the Franz Joseph ones were nice.

Then FASA came along, and even though they didn't produce as many, especially in minis, they were amazing ships. Check out the FASA Orion Lightning and Wanderer. Even the Gorn ships looked great in the FASA game.

I also liked how FASA incoprorated the movie vessels. They gor the rights, after all, while Starfleet battles only had the rights to the tech manual stuff. Those ships were extremely attractive and well thought out.

Interesting how some people have never had an interest in this flood of opportunity. Glad you've chosen to. I appreciate the many versions of the big E, who wouldn't, but it's kinda cool when someone designs the less screen time driven ships, like the Deep Space Freighter.

Anyway, respect your taking our attention into new, rediscovered territory!
    :inw: