Star Command - Under Construction

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by julianmaurice, Apr 3, 2009.

1. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Hi folks,

Hopefully over the coming weeks I'll be making a Star Command base in time for my Son's birthday.

It's an idea I've had, and it will be a large, easy to assemble and store playset for his robot and space toys.

First off I'm going to make the hangar bays and backdrop. I'm designing the decals myself and will be working with foamcore and thick mounting board.

Here is the result of my forst weeks work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

Glad I'm not the only freak that does this for his kid's birthdays. :mrgreen: Looks great! Keep 'em coming.
  3. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Next is the backdrop. I've been working on the decals which will printed onto A4 sticker paper then applied onto mount board. The backdrop will fold to allow it to stand on it's own. I guess I'll need to fit some stabilisers to give some added strength as well.

Here are the decals:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If there are ny fans of 2001 out there, spot the movie image that I've used on a couple of the decal sheets.
  4. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

this should be fun...:)
  5. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Latest update:

Wall sections are now built!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I've got to work on the building decals which will probably take a few days if I get some "me time".
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Cool! I like it.
  7. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

I like the Ares 1B on the landing pad at the moon base texture....Glad to see I'm not the only one with the 1:144 Votoms Gashapons!
  8. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

This is gonna look great when its finished.
  9. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

They're great aren't they! very detailed and ideal for thiskind of thing.
  10. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

OMG This is fantastic! Great work. Can I use these graphics to do something similar? My son's birthday is coming up, and I have a massive paper model project underway for his (thread coming soon), too, but this will be great for playing with and storing his things.
  11. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

You needn't ask, it is a pleasure to share.
  12. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

++LATEST UPDATE+++

[​IMG]

Next is the first building. This is a base for models 1/144 - 1/400 scales. It will be able to be used as a stand alone playset or part of the larger diorama.

I have used foamcore to make the building and fixed it together using a hot glue gun.

I've posted slightly different decals to the ones shown in my images as my youngest son deleted my old ones (I don't know how but he has the knack for destruction).

If you are making this building, make sure that you allow for tabs that fold over edges. Most of thedecals have tabs included. You'll ned to figure out which stickers to fix first. If you don't fold tabs over the edges the decals will begin to frey very quickly.

Here are the decals:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the building completed...

[​IMG]
  13. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Here are the decals that form the base of the large playset: I will be using some of the sheets twice, I'll simply rotate them to suit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. clif52

clif52 Banned

These look great. Are you making all of your own textures or combining with stuff you find on the web. I've found a lot of great textures lately just surfing Google, Ask, MSN, Yahoo, and Lycos images. I've been building action figure bases for local customers using foamcore and computer graphics. You can check them out on my Yahoo 360 page.
    http://360.yahoo.com/georgeleeclifton
    Click on the photos on upper right or look at the blogs. Let me know what you think. I'd love some suggestions for new stuff to build. Good luck with this playset I'm very impressed so far.
  15. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Clif,

First off, I love your work, it's very professional.

You guessed it. I've been using a mixture of my own textures and mixed them with bits and pieces found on the web. I've found that game textures work great on the kid of work I'm doing and I use Photoshop to shape and manipulate images to suit my needs.

Thanks for posting and I'll keep an eye on your stuff as well.

Best regards,

Julian
  16. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

++Latest udate+++

Here are te final lot of buildings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]