St. Thomas Trains Question

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just wondering if anyone can shed any further light on the current status of the Southern Ontario Locomotive Restoration Society (SOLRS) and the Elgin County Railway Museum. I've read that they've had to temporarily suspend operations because CN was removing their CASO track. Yet, there is now some info on their website saying that they (the SOLRS) are trying to purchase the track. I'm cautiously optimistic and encouraged that there is still hope for this railway as it's appeared fairly bleak recently. Is this realistic?

About 2 years ago, my family and I enjoyed an excellent ride on their 0-6-0 from one end of St. Thomas to the other during the "Iron Horse Festival". The ride lasted a good 40 minutes or so and was really enjoyable. The Museum there is also great and -- one of the biggest treats -- is being able to look at CNR Hudson 5700 (formerly 5703). So if the SOLR can pull together and start operations again, it would be great! St. Thomas is only about 2.5 hours from Toronto and the Port Stanley railway is also close by.

Thanks,
Rob

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
The museum had problems with the roof last year - a couple panels fell down, and the building was declared temporarily unsafe, which I think limited work on the 0-6-0. You can catch more info on the Canada Southern Yahoo group.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
galt904 said:
The museum had problems with the roof last year - a couple panels fell down, and the building was declared temporarily unsafe, which I think limited work on the 0-6-0. You can catch more info on the Canada Southern Yahoo group.

Thanks, Chad! I'll check that out. Rob