Ss-1c scud b + maz-543

Z

Zathros

You are so very blessed to have survived that. Watch yourself the next couple of days. Injuries sometimes show up weeks later! )

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
@Zathros I'll keep an eye out for myself :) So far nothing serious has been detected on X-ray though, so I am hopeful nothing major will happen.

And now for some more building pics. I haven't been able to do as much as I hoped, my new job and the car crash paperwork consuming most of my time. Apart from that, I have been trying to solve the puzzle on how to connect the front and middle axle steering system. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I believe the building drawings are wrong on this point. And after searching the internet for the correct solution, I have found only one example of someone who managed to get the steering system working.

Unfortunately, that doesn't hold for me: I can't get the system working, despite altering some bits.

029.jpg

Building groups 15 - 17 form a piston (?), which connects to a) the frame, b) the steering system of the middle axle, and c) the front axle. According to the building drawings, this part needed to be connected to part 2d, but that makes the moving front levers redundant. Besides, something else needed to be connected to 2d. The solutions I have seen in the internets are a) not to connect anything at all, thus making combined steering impossible, or b) to connect to part 10, which makes the whole thing steerable, aber barely.

030.jpg

I decided to connect to part 10, which is the black curved piece under the front axle in the picture. It turned out tho, that the piston couldn't move freely so I shortened the connection rod. The problem I encounter here is that part 10 deforms massively, despite hardening the paper with power glue. I have tried different approaches here, but I can't get it to work the way it should without damaging the model. All that happened was for several previously glued parts to come apart again. So I decided I'd leave it as is, and I won't be pursuing a fully steerable model any longer.

The next part consists of the building groups 18 - 19 and consists of a piston that suppresses the movement of the middle axle. This one was relatively easy to build and works as intended.

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

Z

Zathros

I'd put it aside and see if you could find some real pictures to see what they are trying to reproduce. I looked a little but came up with nothing. Tough job, especially if the instructions are off or hard to interpret, which can be good as wrong! :)

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
I did manage to get it kinda working, so I am satisfied for the moment. I think later on I might look into strengthening the part that caused me so much trouble (perhaps removing it and redoing it on thicker cardstock instead of the doubled paper).

Anyways... due to the new job consuming more time than initially planned, I haven't been able to do much. At the moment I am working on the suspension. It is quite complicated when first looked at, but pretty straightforward to build as long as you keep referring to the sketches on the one hand and the actual model on the other hand, because some parts need to be mirrored on different parts of the model (and the sketches don't show that).

One other thing that I discovered when it was too late, was that I was supposed to insert springs. I built the whole thing according to the sketch, but it turned out there was yet another sketch that showed nothing but the spring. Oh well, without springs it looks just as neat :)

034.jpg

035.jpg

I have 7 more of these to finish, so I'll be silent for a couple of days :) But no worries, when there is progress to show, I'll update.

On a sidenote: these are Building Groups 24 - 36. The model contains a failure here, showing two different sets of part 30. Instead, one of those sets (the green disc) should be interpreted as 30b.

Z

Zathros

This is one of those models that is a "life accomplishment". It's going to take a long time, but will be worth it, and you will have it for many many years, as will those you pass it on to! :)

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
A short update because it's been silent in this thread for a while :) I haven't abandoned the project, but with my new job and studying for three upcoming exams, I simply don't have time to build :-( As soon as I have something new to report, I'll make sure to do so :)

MilanX3

Jul 18, 2011
Canada
Good lord...I hope you are fine, it seems like a tough road to some better luck. At least you were not too badly injured and still have the new job. As well, maybe you can use some of the parts of what is left of your car for the model! :) Thinking positive!

Milan

Thanks @Zathros and @Milan :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to do as much as I planned. There are two reasons for that, one good, one bad. The good reason is that I finally have a job after being jobless for over two years. The bad reason is that on my way to work on my first day (last thursday), I got caught in a car crash on the highway, escaping with relatively minor injuries (severely bruised thorax - the safety belt caused that - and a mild concussion) but totally wrecking my car in the process (and it wasn't even my fault!). I finally thought my stream of bad luck dried up, but it had a nasty surprise in the end. I did manage to get to work yesterday tho, so all ended up pretty much okay, and as a bonus I might end up with a better car than before :)

When it comes to the model, I have been working (still) on the steering mechanism. The slightly off angles I mentioned in an earlier post haven't caused me much problems till now, and I hope it'll stay that way. I kinda forgot to make lots of pictures, but I think these will give the general idea (except for the last, that used to be my car, but then 2 feet longer).

022.jpg

023.jpg

car.jpg

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
Good lord...I hope you are fine, it seems like a tough road to some better luck. At least you were not too badly injured and still have the new job. As well, maybe you can use some of the parts of what is left of your car for the model! :) Thinking positive!

Milan

Hehehe :) the remains of the car were sold, unfortunately including a CD I couldn't reclaim. But I have a better car now (I already planned to get one, but the crash kinda made it necessary to put my plans into practise a bit sooner than anticipated) and my health is back to normal again, no permanent damage done it seems (and some complaints I had before the crash have magically disappeared as well, so in the end, it was all for the better ;) )

All that I lack at the moment is time... I expect to be able to show some progress mid March at the soonest, and I can tell you my fingers itch to start working again

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
It's been a while, but finally I have found some time again to work on my SCUD-launcher. Exams are over and work / study time seems to be settling down in a nice flow, so expect more updates soon.

I have been working on the wheel suspension for some time. After modelling the first four separately, I decided to make the last four in one go.

So... here are the parts before the paint job:

036_zps09442181.jpg

... and after the paint job:

037_zpsba5091f6.jpg

After that I assembled everything (obviously xD)

038_zps1a3adaef.jpg

And glued them onto my model. As you can see, inbetween I got myself a new cutting mat... the old one was bumped and not very pleasant to use anymore. One little square is 1 cm, so you can see that the model is pretty big.

039_zps65c8c5e7.jpg

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
It feels good to be able to work on the model again! Progress is coming along nicely, although the current parts are a bit repetitive. And then to think that in the end they can't even be seen!

But before I come to that, first the connection between the steering rods and the wheel bases. I decided to glue the steering rods into place. I couldn't get it functioning, so I opted for a solution I saw in another forum and applied copious amounts of powerglue :) It was the only way to make sure the wheels won't all go in a different direction.

Anyway, I first fixed the rods into place temporarily, to get the measurements right. As rod I use a .9mm trimmed needle.

040_zps14e3cb47.jpg

And then I put them into place (this is before painting the hinges - made out of more needles, this time .4mm)

041_zps237364d1.jpg

I noticed, and it shows on pretty much all pictures, that the color differences between cardstock and paint stand out a lot. But that's just the flashlight working. In normal light it's not that bad.

Right now, I am working on 18 parts (of 19 parts each, building group 40), that go between the wheel bases. No clue what they are called or what they are for, but well... they are part of the model xD

All the parts for 8 pieces:

042_zps4c8595e1.jpg

And nearly all the parts for one piece (4 parts missing... I put them under my cutting mat to dry, and almost forgot about them!)

043_zps6400191a.jpg

And finally one finished part and one part before the paint job:

044_zpsb6e634c7.jpg

I have nearly finished four of them now, and have four more to go.

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
Time for another small update :) I finished the 8 parts of which I still don't know what they do.

All 8 lined up on a pipe tobacco tin (great for storing paint and small parts, and ofcourse a joy to smoke ;) )

045_zps2ae8f875.jpg

And put into place, 4 on either side:

046_zpsd10f030e.jpg

The next thing is some kind of compressor with a crank of some kind. I suppose it will be connected to the upper parts later, but so far the building drawings don't give any clue. I like the print: shiny silvery paper (building groups 42 - 45).

047_zps6a4e0513.jpg

And the first of many tubes and stuff. I form them out of messing wire, in this case 1mm, and paint them accordingly.

048_zpsdaf89388.jpg

So much for now, see you next time xD

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
And yet another update, as work and study didn't take much time today. I continued building yet another part of which I have no idea what it'll do in the end, but I think it'll connect to the steering wheel, since on the drawings it has a rod going right through the middle. For these building groups (46 - 50) there was no detailed drawing tho, making me wonder what certain parts were for:

049_zps79866a0b.jpg

I kinda glued everything together, hoping I did it right, and I like the end result:

050_zps5df90170.jpg

The next period I will be working on the engine and axles... looks pretty daunting on the drawing:

051_zps84f4f379.jpg

I have been searching for parts 53 for over 45 minutes, only to discover that they are bright green instead of the expected silver *sighs*

052_zps4dd16c25.jpg

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
And it goes on! :) I have finished the what I think is the cooler. Lots of small parts, and a lot of nasty shapes to cut out of thick cardstock (Building groups 51 - 57).

053_zps081385aa.jpg

First I assembled the base (building group 51), and next the two rods that hold the fans:

054_zps2d662b04.jpg

I kept strictly to the building plan, but I fear I made a mistake here :/ Anyway, next up were the fans. They worried me, because it would be hard to get them exactly round.

055_zpsdbe3bf70.jpg

And, as you can see.. they aren't round (well... almost round anyway, so I am happy with the result). And when glued together, you can see what the possible error is: I fear the connecting rods are too long. But since the building drawings don't give any clues yet, and because I have seen various pictures of other builders with longer and shorter connecting rods, I will have to wait till I can put the fans into place.

056_zpsf78bc9b6.jpg

Next up is the engine. I have to say it is one of the most complicated parts I have folded, formed and glued, but the fit is very accurate.

057_zpsb4f57500.jpg

With the main body of the engine done (building groups 58 - 65), I will be working on adding all the small parts that make the engine work. Including a lot of wiring to be done. I think I will need to cut up some old cables for that, to get the small copper wiring needed for it.

058_zpscaee94e5.jpg

The toothpick is part of the design, I will need to shorten it and eventually glue the fans to the other end. After that I will paint the wood, either black or silver, I am not sure yet.

059_zps6d8cf055.jpg

That's it for now. Take care and happy sunday!

KCStephens

Sep 18, 2007
York, PA
You have done a masterful job of building the engine block especially considering you were able to wrap a single piece around only two internal formers.
When working with parts like this, I usually add aditional formers and end up cutting the wrap into smaller sections rather than trying to bend and form a single piece around all of those corners.
Great Job!

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for the kind words, KC :) Especially with complicated shapes, I find it easier not to use internal formers, because it leaves some room for corrections during the glueing. For simpler shapes tho, like U-shaped profiles, formers are great :)

I continued working on the engine block. With the basis firmly into place, I added some reservoirs for one thing and the other (?): building groups 68 - 70.

060_zpscccc25ef.jpg

061_zpse24f2636.jpg

I continued with a part that may contain the spark plugs (building groups 71 - 74), it will be connected to the bolts that are visible on either side in later pictures.

062_zps11eae9fd.jpg

I continued with some small canisters of some sort (building groups 75 - 77). And with small I mean small!

063_zpsbef0b598.jpg

They worked out okay though, even though I am not very fond of the chosen way to create a curved end. After finishing those, it was time to concentrate on what will most likely connect to exhaust pipes (78). It is a nasty U-shape, but when I found that the wood sticks I use for glueing fitted right inside, the choice was easy :)

064_zpsbe66fd54.jpg

After finishing some more things that were glued to the sides (79), this is the overview so far:

065_zpsb23b7048.jpg

After this, I decided it was time for coffee and a smoke :) and afterwards I continued building the upper parts of the cylinder heads, with yet more nuts and bolts (groups 80 - 82) and what appear to be stability rods (83).

SO I ended up with this thing on my desk, almost ready for wiring up.

066_zps14fd4295.jpg

067_zps3515b6a5.jpg

068_zps8ab31614.jpg

I am not sure what colour to use for the wiring. I will use copper and brass. I can leave them like that, paint them black or paint them silver. What do you think? For contrast I'd say untreated or black...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This only looks like a model because you told us. I cannot believe the detail, it is incredible, and your workmanship, outstanding!! :)

Kiyoshi

Jul 17, 2012
You make me blush ;-)

Just a small update today. I finished work on the engine, and decided to put the exhaust pipes in later (when I know exactly where they will go)

069_zpsc3448fc2.jpg

070_zps53f00d80.jpg

071_zps71ae77df.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That engine stands on it's own as a kit! :)

Cristi

Jan 27, 2013
Oh My Gosh! i think i`ll never be so good so that i could make such a level of detail!:nope::nope::nope: Great Job Mate!:D