spraying glue

vdegrazia

I use a mixture of 50/50 Elmers glue and water to hold down grown cover, grass, etc.
My problem is with the spray bottles I have tried. None of the nozzles give a nice even spray. I clean them very thourghly after each use to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Russ Bellinis

Most spray bottles don't atomize very well. They are more like "squirters" than "sprayers." An old perfume bottle will have a much better atomizer than the typical spray bottles.

kirkendale

It sounds like your are trying to spray the glue. I have used a spray bottle to wet down the area. After it is well dampend I use an old glue bottle with the glue/water mix, capillery action draws the glue mix in. If you have a large area ( I'm in O scale :thumb: ) then a few pennys more for the bottle is wise.

steamhead

Ahhh...The never ending search for the perfect spray bottle. I found mine in a Lysol bathtub & tile cleaner bottle. It gives a nice even spray that doesn't "Bunch up" ballast, ground cover, etc. I clean it VERY thoroughly after every use...

Collyn

I liked the spray bottle woodland scenics sells for their premix glue.
I found an off brand window cleaner botle that gives an extreamly fine mist.

Biased turkey

vdegrazia said:
I use a mixture of 50/50 Elmers glue and water to hold down grown cover, grass, etc.
My problem is with the spray bottles I have tried. None of the nozzles give a nice even spray. I clean them very thourghly after each use to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Maybe the problem is causet by the fact that you want to spray a 50/50 ratio mixture, it's too visquous..
I did some trials and the best result I had was using a smaller amount of glue, like 25 % glue / 75 % water ratio.

steamhead

Biased Turkey (what's your bias??) is right. Even a very good "mister" will sputter if the mixture is too "thick". I use more like a 45/65 mixture and do it twice. More work...less frustration.