Spotted Today

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I thought I would start a thread that everyone could share in. A brief description of some perhaps "out of the usual" sightings of railroad activity you happened upon. I was inspired by the New Haven thread since I work right on the New Haven Line and live near (one block away) the Harlem Line in New York.

Here's todays edition, feel free to post away.

Regards,

Mark

Date:
11/7/05

Mill Street and Rte. 1 (at work, 2nd Floor-Track Level with Rte. 1 overpass)
Port Chester, NY

Action:
Prior to noon.
(1) P42 Metro-North, (1) P42 Retro New Haven scheme Double Header pushing commuter southbound.

Just after noon.
Sperry Railcar #125 southbound. Previously observed prior to tie replacement across Rte. 1 bridge.

Just around 2PM.
Southbound Metro-North GP-40(?) and FP-7 running light (backwards).

Did someone say, "Where's the pics"? I gotta bring my camera to work, but I only get a few seconds between hearing and seeing trains as they charge across the bridge between buildings. But my sense of hearing has been attuned to knowing somethging a little different is about to grace the view out of the office window.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Okies, my turn! :D

Date:
11/5/05

Action:
Chased Lima District local L74 from Fostoria, Ohio to Lima. Powered by two high-nose NS SD40-2s running long hood forward and hauling a mix of empty propane tankers, empty boxcars, and loaded carbon black hoppers. Shots taken in Arcadia, Findlay, Rawson, Bluffton, Beaverdamn, and Lima.

Photos:
Forthcoming, once I get server space to host them.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Here is mine from last night, 11/6/2005.

We were coming out of Giant Market on Baltimore Avenue in Lansdowne where the SEPTA R3 Media-Elwyn Line runs along the parking lot I hear what sounds like a diesel coming. This is unusual because the only electric MUs run on the line. Sure enough it is a diesel, SEPTA’s BL-15(?) pulling a Corn Syrup tank car and a piece of MOW equipment that is spraying something. Since it is fall I will assume it was spraying the rails to help with traction during leaf season. Camera was at home. I don’t think it would have matter since it was about 8:30 PM and dark.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
More New Haven Line

Date:
11/8/05

Port Chester, NY

Action:
2:35PM
FL-9 in New Haven Paint scheme leads (2) tank cars and (1) transfer hack (w/crate on platform) northbound with Metro-North GP-40 on rear of train.

When's the last time you saw an FL-9? Not bad for a commuter railroad.

Mark

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
The Milwaukee was merged into Soo Line in 1986. Their last bankruptcy was in 1977.

REflectiveMAN

Nov 20, 2005
I had a former P&LE 70 ton hopper in my train whos AEI tag was still showing it as a P&LE car :p (Its now a wheeling car)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
While out and about yesterday I saw a W&LE engine on the CF&E..Not bad but,it was a ex Southern GP35 with Alco trucks instead of one of the newer Rio Grande schemes..

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
There is/was a Rock Island boxcar along with a couple of WP covered hoppers on the Tracy/Mococo sub near, Byron California many months ago.

Not sure if they are still there or not. That line is used mainly for long term storage.

JD

grumbeast said:
We had an old Rock Island box car here in Dartmouth late last year, I have a pic I'll try and dig up. The rock in Atlantic Canada.. What a blast!

Graham