sponge method..

NCMRailroad

Hi all,
Anyone successful with using a sponge to create a few clouds? I was told that sea sponge (costly) is a good method to use.
Hmmm, not sure bout that one! Any suggestions?
Wm

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I agree with Val, the templates are an excellent way of painting clouds. I would caution, however, that a ground cloth, or some other means of protecting the layout be used. No matter how carefully you spray paint, there is some overspray. When it gets on the rails.............the trains stop!, and you have to clean dry paint off of them to get the trains running again.

.......sponge......full of dripping paint........over the layout...... now there's a visual I didn't need to experience! :D :D :D

Russ Bellinis

One of the crafts we offer the kids at the children's camp where I'm in charge of the craft program is sponge stenciling. I'd never thought of it, but it should work fine for clouds. I don't think you would need sea sponges, any sponge cut to a cloud shape will work. The trick to keep from making a mess is that you don't use a can of paint and then try to use the sponge like a brush or to squeese the paint on. You put a thin layer of paint in an upside down margerine tub lid or a coffee can lid. You want to use standard house paint, not thin watery paint ready for your air brush. Use the sponge like a stamp and the lid with paint like a stamp pad. Just dab the sponge on the paint lid and then dab it on the backdrop. Don't let the sponge sit in the paint and soak up an excess amount and don't try to "mush" it on the backdrop. If you are squeesing the sponge enough to distort it at all you are using too much pressure.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Further to Russ' comment (and apologies to Val), if your sponge is dripping paint - you are putting WAY too much paint on it...! ;) :D Gavin's method looks fantastic - glad to have it here at The Gauge :)

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Yeah Val, thanks for digging that out for us. I saw a recent episode of "Workin' on the Railroad" (it's on the DYI channel very early on Tuesday mornings, 2 AM Arizona time) where they used a modified approach to the stencil technique. They had a partial outline and held it a few inches away from the backdrop and sprayed a part of the cloud. They moved the stencil around and a light spraying seemed to result in light fluffy realistic-looking clouds. This gives me great reason to think about redoing my backdrop before I add anything else to my layout.

fsm1000

Just as you can use the "dry brush method", you can also use the "almost dry sponge method".
With this you simply dab a little paint onto a sponge, then you 'scrunch' it on to a paper towel until it is not drippy at all. Do this a couple or five times to be sure. Then you can lean over anything and dab it on your back ground without drips or 'run downs' of paint all over the place.

Just a thought. :)