Spoked wheels?

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
i kinda haven't settled on a time period yet, but somewhere between 1890s and 1950s. I'm primarily a logging nut, so I'm always running old equipment, and some of the oldest would look best with spoked wheels (My Lincoln Funeral Car would also look excellent with spoked wheels).

And, thanks in part to our own esteemed Mr. Shamus, and an article in Model Railroading, I've branched into On30 and picked up that excellent Bachmann shay, and a Great Northern coach.

For the most part, however, I model in HO scale.

some of my work can be viewed at:
http://www.dragonmnt.com

Michael

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
I enjoyed your website, Michael. Great looking modeling.

I've kicked myself around the block a few times for not buying several of those Lincoln funeral cars when they were being sold by AHC (?). They were only a couple of $ each then. Now, when I occasionally see them on eBay, they go for big $.

I'd bash them a bit (with just 2 trucks for example) and make a whole train of them, with a matching baggage car.

BillS

DanishKnight

Dec 27, 2003
Denver CO
Visit site
Michael,

That is some excellent modeling you're working on! I really like the enginehouse. A lot of great work there.

Your "new" hobby is a fun one. I had a Kawasaki in my first youth. Enjoy! But please drive carefully!

Take care,
James

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
Bill,
I managed to find it a couple years ago for $5. I don't think the store owner knew what it was, or even cared. It was in a box of HO stuff he was discounting.
I find the Bachman old-time coach and combine are a close match to it. Close enough that, if all of them were painted alike, they would look like the same thing, only this one has the 4 trucks (which is why I wanted it in the first place).
The sad part is, the missus won't let me repaint it. She wants me to keep it the way it is.

DanishKnight,
That engine house has taken over a year so far (not constant work, though).
I'm "on-hold" while we do some home repairs. I'm hoping to get it completed soon, but I can't figure out how to make the foundation. Right now it's natural stone overlaying the styrene frame, but that seems crude. I plan on having the track set in the floor, so the floorboards are at the level of the top of the rail. I may just pour a layer of plaster and imbed the track in it, then scribe the outside to resemble brick or stone and glue down the floorboards.

My "new" hobby is also cutting into my train funds, but I refuse to complain. Riding is so much fun, even doing it safely like I do (protective gear, even on a 90 degree day). If I weren't modelling old-time logging, I'd have put a few "canyon carvers" in the mountains. :)

Oh, and I recently aquired an On30 shay and coach. Looks like I'm trading my N-scale for On30. These things are just great to work on, and I can't wait to get a small 12"x50" diorama built to show them off. I just need the detail kit from Backwoods for the shay, and to find a way to dig out my paintbooth...

Michael