Spider mech Tarantula

Vger1981

This one started as a simple "Build your own mech" challenge model. Well, this is the result. :mrgreen:
SketchUp model first:

Unfolded in Pepakura:

And.. Let's go:

Need some details:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
That is indeed a very interesting design.
You are doing a GREAT job on it.
I will be following this thread.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
jawdrop HOLY FRAK! jawdrop

This is awesome!

It reminds me a bit of the replicators from Stargate albeit this design is much cooler. I can imagine it with a weathered brass / copper finish and even some little exhaust pipes on the back (steam punk'd! :thumb:).

Do the legs move? Is it possible to add a third pair of legs to come even closer to a real spider? Will you make the template available for download when the build is complete?

Vger1981

Thanks boys! Revell-Fan: Model is finished now, and, unfortunately all files was lost due to the hdd crash on my pc last year, but can be recreated easily, if I'll have some spare time, it's a simple model. Legs are slightly moveable forwards/backwards, just to adjust the pose of the beast.
Ok, let's see some photos:

Enough detailing, base coat with pre-shading airbrushed:

..and final colour..:

One leg is salvaged from another machine, Navy one perhaps....:

Final coat? Who said that? Hair spray and lighter green applied, then brushed down...

Well, yes admin, you can move this thread to some plastic forum now...
Scratches...

DanBKing

Dan the Man
The model is fantastic.
The details are superb....
But, that paint job......... Superbly brilliantly fantastic!!!1
LOVE IT!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is a masterpiece! Very well done! (Too bad that the plans are lost..!)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Wow! That is incredible! That has to be one of the best concept to finished products I've ever seen. The texturing is so good it looks like it's been around for quite some time and is made out of some kind of heavy iron. Man, this is so far over the top. It is really masterful, artistic, and engineering at it's best. Thanks You for posting this. It is inspirational! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Some of those scenes are downright creepy!! Great concept!

Vger1981

The base is made of hardened styrene (heat insulation stuff), and gypsum plaster blocks broken down to imitate ruins.

Beer is good...

This guy is about two inches tall, made of paper and putty. Big gun comes from 1:48 bomber plane.

Final shots:

Dry grass blades are made of brush hair:

Enjoy! :wave: