Spent a day at the Battleship USS IOWA(BB-61) .

goodduck

Jul 25, 2010

Spent a day at the Battleship USS IOWA (BB-61) . That was so much to see I'm like a kid in the candy store, Looking and touching history, soo cool! The coolest thing is I got a piece of the original wood deck to keep! If that piece of the deck can talk, think of the actions it witness, stories it can tell....

And I am so sorry, my phone battery die..... can't video the back of the ship. :p
I must apologize for the lousy job I did. It was not intended for public viewing but for my personal reference. But I decided to share it anyway for the fun of it. So nothing was planned head everything was an afterthought. There are some nice shots... one... or maybe two, hope you enjoy it. :D

Thank you very much for watching!
Because moving pictures are more fun to look at.
Do check out my other videos.
Please remember to click "like" on Youtube if you like it, comments and feedback are most welcome.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
You lucky Bugger! That is so cool!:bowdown:

I always loved the Iowa class after getting a book on modern naval warfare & these babies were still active at the time. 16" shell vs modern hulls, No contest....

I would love to visit HMS Victory in Plymouth (UK) but it's pricey to get there from South Africa.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The machine shop on that ship is capable of making or fixing every part on that ship, maybe with the exception of the propellers. It would take one month to make that ship sea worthy again, by an act of Congress. There's enough ammo and cordite to fight WWII again for that ship. There has been a proposal that it would be an excellent mount for the new Laser and Rail gun defense systems. It would have to probably get a Nuclear reactor, but they can make those pretty small these days.

goodduck

Jul 25, 2010
You can't hide the Battleship, that would make Iowa a really big target for the foe to shoot at.

Got back from visiting the USS Texas and I'm going to have to look for that Trumper USS Texas kit now. :D