Speed....

steamhead

No, I'm not talking about the Acela or the French TGV...I'm talking about Firefox...For those not familiar with it, it's a web browser, not unlike Internet Explorer. someone here mentioned they were using Firefox and it worked faster than IE. Well, I'm thinking...What have I to loose...?? So I downloaded a FREE version from Downloads.com and tried it out...

Well...I'm on dial-up and I can say that it works at LEAST twice as fast as IE, and probably MORE..!! Before I could take a nap waiting for pages to open...now I can't get a wink in...I've just used it to view The Gauge, but I'm sure it'll speed everything up. Try it...you'll like it..!! announce1

Oh...and it comes with a spell checker... :eek:

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Been using it for a year or so.. Ever since our Computer Guru at work said "It's GREAT!!!!"

. and it is LOL

I have used Firefox for a year or so and love it. Much better layout than IE 7 (if you're using IE6, think about updating).

The worst thing about Firefox is that you have to keep IE to download the monthly patches for Windows!!!sign1

Bob

ezdays

Out AZ way
Like Mikey, I've been using it since inception. To be sure, just on general principals, I've never used IE as my principal browser. I used Netscape for years before Mozilla came along.

Keep in mind that Peter has ordered some new hardware for our server that should help to speed things up here. We're talking less than a week before that gets implemented. Once that's in place, Peter will take on the attachment upload problem. He's been waiting to do one before the other.

Triplex

The worst thing about Firefox is that you have to keep IE to download the monthly patches for Windows!!!
Not if you're running Windows 98, which isn't being updated anymore... :D

N Gauger

Frankly...I think Windows 98 was the best version of W's...Why couldn't they leave a good thing alone..?

Well - as a web page developer / computer builder - Gauge Admin :) I can think of a LOT of reasons "why"

The older systems "read" everything you see here... the letters are a 7 pixel tall by 5 pixel wide block of black dots.... the background of this window is made up of pixls as is the entire page... To make this all look nice and pretty, "Someone" had to write a book of lines of programming, called "Code"

now the fun part... :) The commands get more intense as the speed and demand gets worse... What?? you say??

Back in win3.1 when we couldn't even "Click & drag" things around the screen, there were thousands of people on "the net" a few were looking in on the coding for pages (Sites) like this......

Win 98 - there were millions on the net and a few million hackers....... All that coding HAD to be changed to protect the sites from aggrivated assault :(

Now - win 98, XP and Vista have built in "Plug & Play - making it possible for hundreds of millions of people, to purchase almost anything computer related and attach them to their PC's :) Now - they all access the net and we need the faster software to download all these pixels :)

........................ including the hundreds of thousands (Maybe a few million) hackers......

As they get better -- the software HAS to improve..... Now - I tell this story to people all the time and you know some of the comments I get???

"I don't have to worry - none of my stuff is on the net" :( Sorry Charlie - you have an electric bill?? a phone bill?? water?? Gas?? Auto insurance?? and the Worst ones - Credit cards!!!!

"You might not have put anything up there... but your supplier Does Have your stuff up there......... Why??? Because they access the net to do their bill paying, transferring and other things.... It may reside in their internal server - behind a firewall, but it's there... so that - in the future you decide to pay bills online (like i do) your account is already in the database - so all you have to do is "log-in" :)

Now... I always hope that anyone that access "my" stuff online is using the latest - updated browser - whichever they use... and i hope their anti-virus & Spyware programs are Military encryption (Like Pay Pal)

All it takes is "one" employee to miss an upgrade or update ...and access the database anywhere - from anywhere - and you get a story on your news......................................

40 Million Credit Card Numbers Hacked

Your info is up there..... everybody's stuff is somewhere up there.......

look here - enter your name :) :)
People Search Address - White Pages – Reverse Address Lookup – PeopleLookup.com

or here:
PeopleFinders.com People Search | Find Anyone in Seconds

Some fun.... Eh???????

Everyone that has a driver's license, car or any bank account is up there somewhere.... the hackers keep getting better and the software has to always be one step ahead........ or it's a real bummer.... and i've had credit cards and passwords stolen.. it's just a part of life.... I keep a separate card linked to the net with no money in it - Just to use online..... Unreal!!!!!!

eric halpin

Eric Halpin
Firefox is the BEST! I have been on it for about five years. You will get far fewer if any viruses using Firefox versus IE also.

Eric

N Gauger

one other thing :) The software designers always let us all know when they need to give you an upgrade... Look at the software version of whatever browser you're using (Click help - then "About) .... You will see a version number it'l look close to this:

The 7 is the coding version (Windows uses names now :) ) --- Ex.: Vista

the 0 is the latent variable for the main programming upgrade (Ex.: buying new tires for your car to make it steer better)

the 1 is an indicator of a software upgrade -- (Ex.: . security, graphics, javascript etc)

the 3 is the important one.. This is the latest upgrade (the thing that changes when you get that "Windows has needed to download an upgrade" you must restart your computer for it to take effect..... )

It'll then either change the 1 to a 2 and or the 3 to a 4.... all those little restarts are Vitally Important!!!! If you miss one...and you go into a database somewhere...... You could be the one to let the virus in..........

Every major upgrade of an operating system always has more tools to stop hackers and adware....