SPEED BUILD Class 20 Diesel

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
Today rather than write a book review and do a job application I propose to see if I can build Ray Morris' British Rail Class 20 Type 1 Diesel Locomotive IN A DAY .

I visited the National Railway Museum in York on New Years Day, both work and fun! I am a lucky man! I know little of railways and locomotives but I would like to change that.

The card model is available here:

http://www.trspartan.freeserve.co.uk/card_models.htm

It's a nice looking little loco, looks like it hauled coal for most o its life. A Bo Bo I believe? Scale is 00, which means little to me. I would like to explore O gauge / scale in the future as these make a good sized engine. I suppose 00 is half that so about 1:88?

Kick off was about 10:30 AM GMT.

P1010004.jpg

Chassis underway. I added some thicker card strips to beef it up a little, otherwise just score and cut. I backed the steps and cut them out.

P1010005.jpg

Finished the chassis and prepared the central equipment box. Contains braking system and stuff I suppose?

P1010006.jpg

Bogies are under way. Again a certain amount of card doubling and cutting out white areas. Ray's construction is neat and efficient. Only praise.

D

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
Well I managed it.

In general it went together very easily. I deffinately rushed a bit too much and have ended up with a few rough areas. Down to me rather than Ray's design.

I think the doors which are recessed and the cab could be done a lot better. For a start I would print the doors on thinner stock as the 120gsm card was just too thick. The lower edge of the cab could be reinforced with a continuous strip of thin card as is the area below the door is too thin.

Some pictures.

Library - 5163.jpg

Library - 5167.jpg

Library - 5169.jpg

Quite like ship building I enjoyed myself. I think I will be building some narrow gauge next. Any one know if there is a Double Fairlie kit available?

D