Spectrum Shay Min. Radius

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Wondering if anyone has got the Spectrum 3-truck Shay going (HO) and can comment on min. radius it will handle. I have a logging/mining branch off my mainline that runs down to 13-14" radius...

Other suggestions for logging relevant locos (steam era) that will handle this radius are welcome - I've also been casting a lustful eye at the Rivarossi 2-truck Heisler.

Also at least one high-end brass geared loco is in my future, but particularly hesitant to shell out the $$$ for that without some indication of which will handle my tight, crooked little line.

Thanks,

Kris

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
13-14 inches is pushing it too far for the three truck shay if they are curves on which the entire locomotive will sit at once - i.e. not very short kinks.

I think the MR magazine review said 15" was the minimum for that loco.

The problem is the line shaft on the right side of the loco. If hte curve is too sharp the lineshaft will be totally squashed up and unable to allow the trucks to turn any further.

you might have more luck with the hiesler or Bachmanns new climax as they have a central drive shaft and only two trucks.

Neil

PS. you could always get one - they are gorgeous - and if it doesn't work you can always relay your line!

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Yeah... Part of me is trying to justify buying one either way... But it would be a matter of either re-laying OR having my logging loco unable to get to the logging camp. Sigh.

camelot

Jan 12, 2003
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
I have one 15" radius to the branchline on my layout , the 3rd truck is the problem , because mine is also rising as it curves the 3rd truck binds against the back of the cab floor and jumps the track .So i would be extra carefull with your track laying on the curve as well as suggesting that there is little or no rise in elevation.The rivarossi Hesiler , however , goes through anything and naviagtes it with no problems.

Hope this helps.

BTW it is a nice looking loco ;-)

Cheers

Ian

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Well, we'll give it a go. The one saving grace of the 15" area on my layout is that it has no grades, so perhaps all will be well. Oddly enough, I ordered the Riv Heisler just yesterday (trainworld.com is selling 'em for $89...). So glad to hear it's a go-anywhere machine.

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
kchronister said:
Well, we'll give it a go. The one saving grace of the 15" area on my layout is that it has no grades, so perhaps all will be well. Oddly enough, I ordered the Riv Heisler just yesterday (trainworld.com is selling 'em for $89...). So glad to hear it's a go-anywhere machine.

Hi guys

I have a question.
Did Rivarossi changed on the new Heisler design the electrical pick-up system?
On the old machine one truck was collecting from one rail while the another truck from the another rail. This design (not only on Heisler but on articulated as well) makes me lot of troubles on the track isolation (both tracks are isolated on the same place) and I had to add new pick-up wires to all wheels - earlier inactive in electric system.

:confused:

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Krokodil -

Mine hasn't yet arrived so I'm not sure. However, it is indicated to be "DCC Ready" which normally indicates all-wheel pickup (I hope so!). Hopefully Ian can fill us in - I believe he's already got his.

Kris

camelot

Jan 12, 2003
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
Yes , Rivarossi did change some of the old Heisler , including the full wheel pickup from both trucks , hence it dosn't stall at points like the older version used too.

Also changed was the noise generated from the "v" cylinder mechanism , it is much quiter than the older version , not as quite as some of the lifelike/spectrum rod engines but a little nosier than the shay , particulary at higher speeds.

A lot of extra seperatly applied details and constant lighting make the upgrade worth it , especially at the Trainworld Price.;-)

The loco is also DCC ready but i have not explored that option yet.

Cheers

Ian

CrazyShay

Jul 26, 2004
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
camelot said:
not as quite as some of the lifelike/spectrum rod engines but a little nosier than the shay , particulary at higher speeds.

Ian
Mine runs better then my two Spectrum Shay. And its much smoother them my old Rivarossi Heisler. I too bought mine from Trainworld. :)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
15" radius, in HO, is about a 58 degree curve. The shays of the Sumpter Valley RY (3' gauge) handled a 66 degree curve on Baxter Pass, but I'm not sure if any standard gauge line ever ran a curve that tight. The new heisler is a nice running model.
Pete

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Yep. I'm definitely not trying to claim "reality based" on my tight-radius areas...

Yesterday I accidentally laid some track that got into a 9" radius (don't ask - I'll be doing some 'undoing' tonight)... For the record, my 0-6-0 and 0-4-0 switchers and my shorty ore cars WOULD run through it without problems...

Kris