Spectrum Doodlebug question...

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I have an opportunity to buy a Spectrum Doodlebug.... is there anyone on-board that has ever installed a DCC decoder in one of those critters ??? If so, I would certainly appreciate hearing of your experiences in making that conversion.

Thanx.... Bob

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
When you try to take the body off, set yourself up with about a dozen round toothpix. As you turn it over to pull the carbody from the undercarriage, place a toothpick in the gap as you go down the side, it'll take about six. Do this to both sides. Then turn it rightside up and the body should pull away from the frame fairly easily. If not, one or two of the body clips are still snagged so just repeat the toothpick dealy 'til it does come apart. Room for the chip can be found above the passenger compartment. While I did not do it on mine, I understand that more room can be had by removing a brace from the window casting. I love my doodle on DCC, the ability to turn the lights on and off remotely as well as the overall smooth mech makes it one of my favorite runners.

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
SHAYGETZ... Do you have the Spectrum model ? I heard that with the Spectrum Doodlebug that you have to "hard wire" the decoder in... can you shed some light on that issue ?

Thanks for your assist.... Bob

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Yes I do but my came decoder ready with the NMRA plug already installed. Maybe the older Doodles need the hard wiring just like my older Spectrum GE 44 tonner. The newer 44 tonners come DCC ready.

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I received my new "DB" today, and it does have a NMRA plug.. I just test ran it on DC, and it is a little bit of a "growler", but otherwise it looks and runs "good". I plan to model it after the Montana Western DB (#31), and the details on the GN, and Montana Western prototype are listed at:

http://www.asme.org/history/brochures/H229.pdf

TONY's TRAIN's advised that a SOUNDTRAXX sound decoder is available that will fit the DB, and they said the closest match to a protypical sound would either be an "early EMD", or a "Rail Bus". I am now opting for the RailBus sound, after a little thought and "consultation".

Thanks again for all the info and advice.... Bob