Spectrum 8-40C Performance

Flyboy41

Jul 27, 2007
Kentucky
Hey all,
I just want some reviews on the Spectrum 8-40C. I have a Spectrum 8-40CW and I don't think it looks too realistic and doesn't run slow enough. Anyone have opinions?

C

Catt

I've had some good ones and I've had some bad ones and then I've had some really BAD ones ,solved all that trouble with KATO U30-Cs and C30-7s.Well actually just the mechinisms cause those Bachmann's are the only show in town and if you want dash 8s you can overlook the cosmetic flaws if you can make good runners out of them.

nscaler711

Mar 23, 2007
CO MO
I have had one she wasnt a bad runner all she had was a noisy motor which can be fixed with a Masima motor.
and some lube.
The newer ones look good (not a Kato or PCM good but cheapo company good.)
I will be getting my seconod in a few weeks so i will show pics here if you would like but i say before you buy it make sure you test run it because Bachmann has good and bad eggs sometimes.

C

Catt

but i say before you buy it make sure you test run it because Bachmann has good and bad eggs sometimes.

I couldn't agree more about the test run though I strongly suggest test running any loco by an manufacturer before laying out your hard earned cash.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
i have some of the older dash 8s with the older mechanism that run just as good as the ones with the newer split frame mechanism. I love the detail that bachmann has added on the newer models. Overall, the newer mechanisms are not bad.

darkcurves

Feb 5, 2007
I'm a big fan of 8-40c. Got one from Bachmann, the old run and it's terrible. It was smooth and quiet but quality is terrible. The worse happened when the holes for the screws which holds on the cover to the chassis got bigger. Means i can screw the body back. Then all of a sudden the loco just stopped working. I tried tried to fix, still cant do much. After this experience, not sure i should spend 70 bucks on a new run or not. Just hoping Atlas or Kato will come out with 8-40c.

2005120889857841699_rs.jpg

Flyboy41

Jul 27, 2007
Kentucky
I too with Atlas or Kato would come out with a good Dash-8-40C. I know Atlas makes a good four-axle Dash 8.

I'm really leery of buying any locos that isn't Atlas or Kato myself.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I have both and old run and the newer run of the Bachmann Dash 8.
I had to do some tweaking to the older one to get it to run right.
I am impressed with how much better the the newer design is.
If you are having problems with an older one I would suggest sending it back to Bachmann for replacement with the newer model. It's worth the service charge and postage.