Speaking of trees

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
I just finished making seven trees today. I made enough armatures for seventeen, but ran out of WS Foilage!

I had dreamed this up one night, trying to 'fall asleep', and it seems to work pretty good. I will be putting them in the foreground for sure.

I started with 12-16 strands of "tag wire" that I found at the local Industrial Supply/Safety store. The wire is 12" long, I plannned to make 6-10" trees. I cut short (1/8th") pieces of 1/16th" and 1/8th" shrink tube and slid the larger diameter onto the bottom of the trunck about 1 1/4" up. Then I used the solder gun to shrink the wires into one bundle. Then I would pull, or fold down, 3, 4 or 5 wires for the lower branches. Then I would slide another piece of 1/16th" shrink tube on the remaining bundle, down to about 7/8 to 1" above the lower branches. Then I would 'shrink' the tube and fold down more wires. I continued till I had reached the top. I found that I would trim the bottom row of branches at 15', the next at 12', then 10', 7', 5' and then the top at 3'. I then wrapped the trunks with green flourists tape, (she didn't have any brown), and then sprayed them brown.

Attachments

• big trees709.jpg
    big trees709.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 270

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Drew,
Don't know why I didn't catch this when it was posted, I'll chalk it up to a "senior moment", and continue like nothing happened.
Your technique is quick, easy, and effective. Good looking trees!
I don't know if tag wire can be soldered, but wouldn't it be easier to solder instead of heat shrinking? As long as you have an iron hot? Wrapping the armature with florist tape is a great idea!
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Drew,
Nice way to get a lot of trees made in a short time. Now lets see, I need another 100 that size plus around 50 smaller. :D:rolleyes:

Shamus