Speakin' o' John Allen...

shaygetz

How many of you folks are old enough to remember when this was state of the art? This'll spank the latest coreless can motored creation from Broadway Limited like a bad boy. Nearly pristine and clean, inside and out, this puppy cranks out 22 volts DC wide open and maintains about a volt at the low end. It even sports a rudimentary pulse throttle in that it trickles down the last 5 volts slowly. I know that some transformers were built to do this because your average Pittman needed 2-3 volts to get crankin'. This setup would allow for slower low end control. I'd apreciate any information I can get on it as I plan to use it on the Christmas Garden as a nostalgic touch.

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 125

Vic

Hi Shay, OK! I'm old enough to remember that one:eek: :D

Most likely it has a selium rectifier with tons of AC ripple what aint gonna be good for a coreless can motor because of the heat it produces. Considering its age and the type of rectifier I'm surprised that it even works. It must have been stored in that preverbable "cool dry place":D :D :D

Use it to power lights or something like that but its gonna "reek havock" on can motors:eek:

Vic

Originally posted by shaygetz
Thanks, Vic. It can still be used on my older open frame lokeys, right?

That would be OK but keep the voltage down....22v is a bit much:thumb:

F

Fred_M

Set you up 2 ovals and have loco races. With 22 volts they should run about 300 scale MPH.:D FRED

cobra

Ahh the old word ' Transformer ' could probably fry eggs with that puppy , unless the red reset button jumped out first .
Speakin' a John Allen , ever see that flywheel throttle he had ? Right out of ' Young Frankenstein ' ...all you needed was Igor running that thing .
Anyhow 22 volts would really get your attention ...appears to be in near new condition.

Neil

shaygetz

Thanks, guys...them old Athearns I have, with their High F rubber band drives, haven't been this happy since they were rescued from mothballs:p :D

Vic...I have an older open frame motor and a newer can motor in the junk box...I vill hook dem up und ve vill see just how vell dey cun take da heat:D ;) :p

brakie

Now Shay,You are asking me to tell my age..But what the heck..Yes,I remember that quite well as my Dad had one..I always preferred the MRC Golden Throttle Pack though much to my Dad's displeasure as he never considered that GTP as a "serious" power source.:D

Pooh Bah
Shay, I'm guessing that the unit has a rheostat, not a variable transformer? If it does, the 22V may go down when you have a bigger load on than your voltmeter. Measure it again with the open core or HiF in the circuit.