Spackling compound over cardboard ( silo ) ?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Biased turkey, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I would like to model a few malt concrete cylindrical silos for an N scale model railroad layout.

I glued together the ( strong ) cardboard tube inside a roll of Saran Wrap plastic film. My idea to simulate concrete is to coat the tubes with a thin coat of spackling compound. Is it possible ?
    Won't the cardboard absorb the water of the spackling compound ?
    Should I apply some Dullcote on the cardboard first ?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Jacques
  2. lepton

lepton New Member

I have done this, it works OK.

I was not trying to achieve a concrete look, but was experimenting with getting a more rounded appearance by using spak filler and sanding once dry. It was working reasonably well, but I have not yet finished the model.

Use a stiff mix. Seal the card with photo fixative/sealer first (not varnish). The card did not absorb too much moisture.

Lepton
  3. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I use a light wieght spackle for ship hulls. I seal the paper with a light coat of PVA glue first. This works well for me.

~Douglas
  4. Biased turkey

Thank you Douglas and Lepton for taking some of your valuable time to reply.
    It's a nice feeling for a N scale model railroader to get some help from the Card Modeling forum.
    First I'll spray the tubes with a light coat of clear flat acrylic , maybe add a thin coat of PVA glue, then apply the spackling compound.
    I'll post pictures of the result ( that's the least I can do ).

Jacques
  5. B-Manic

You are welcome, I look forward to seeing your results :)

~Douglas
  6. lepton

lepton New Member

In case you are interested, I have attached a photo of my experiment in progress.

The spackling technique was working well, but the model construction suffered from inadequate formers.

Lepton
    IMG_0250_SM.jpg
  7. Biased turkey

It's not finished but it looks promising so far.
    I cut the tubes lenghtly, glued the cut half tubes together, added gussets between the silos using 1/4 strips of cereal board . I then glued the whole assembly on a strong cardboard base.
    I applied the spackling compound with a trowel. When dry, I sanded it. I still have some sanding to do but it's almost done.
    After that I'll have to scratchbuild a structure that goes on top of the silos.
    Note that the silos are not painted yet.
    That confirms that one can have good results using spackling compound on top of cardboard.
    Thanks again for the encouragements
    Jacques

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. B-Manic

I apply spackling compound with a flexible plastic/latex kidney shaped potters tool that I picked up for a couple of bucks at an art supply store. The shape and flexibilty really help in ensuring you only apply as much spackle as you need where you need it. In my experience several thin coats with light sanding between results in the smothest finish. Pre-coating with a thin coat of PVA helps prevent all the moisture in the spackle being absorbed by the paper and helps the paper maintain its shape during the sanding. Formers will also help as you have noticed. This is not usually a problem with ship hulls. These generally have a very robust internal structure.

Your silos look great!! Have you considered scribing texture details into the spackle before painting to add depth/detail to the surface.
  9. Biased turkey

Thank you Douglas for the encouragements.
    That potter tool is a great idea, it's too bad I didn't know about that tool when I applied the spackling compound, because applying filler on a cylindrical surface is not that easy.
    I like the finish of that spackling compound, because it looks more textured than PVC tubes.
    I didn't consider scribing details into the spackle , but now that you mentions it ...:thumb:

I forgot to mention that before applying the spackle, I airsprayed 2 coats of Model Master flat clear acrylic to avoid the cardboard tubes absorbing moisture from the spackle.

Jacques