Spaceagent-9 2017 build pic threads

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I have made several of Rawen's star trek models in x500 size, approximately 1/250 scale. these are fun, and can be lit up with leds easily. it stretches the limits of the thickest card stock, but a interior model that is shrunk to 95-8/100% and printed in dark grey paper fixes a lot of problems. a few rolled tubes that can be smashed a little is all the support you need, besides a _V_ shaped support for the nacelles struts., made out of hobby brass. I haven't built it yet, as i have a few other projects going on right now. I am asking since they are only rescales and recolors with only a few details modified, if I can go ahead and post them in the resources until I can make a build thread on them this summer, if that wont cause and problems?

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
It is real big, and I like the flying sub big, I should have cut to trim and taped the backside of the sheets, but I wanted to build the whole thing before I start making mods. A three piece -[wing-cabin=wing] assembly might be in order, making each of the three it's own boxed assembly might be best. the aft hatch needs to be taller and maybe trimmed back towards the nose a little, judging from pics I found on search.
flying sub aft hatch.jpg moebius_flyingsub_09.jpg hqdefault.jpg

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I have made several of Rawen's star trek models in x500 size, approximately 1/250 scale. these are fun, and can be lit up with leds easily. it stretches the limits of the thickest card stock, but a interior model that is shrunk to 95-8/100% and printed in dark grey paper fixes a lot of problems. a few rolled tubes that can be smashed a little is all the support you need, besides a _V_ shaped support for the nacelles struts., made out of hobby brass. I haven't built it yet, as i have a few other projects going on right now. I am asking since they are only rescales and recolors with only a few details modified, if I can go ahead and post them in the resources until I can make a build thread on them this summer, if that wont cause and problems?

These look real good!

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
it's printed at 1/2 size with no instructions. I'm afraid that I'm not really getting the effect I'm looking for. What I need is to print the model on one side, and black on the other, any ideas? I have used label stock to print on and then applied it to black poster paper, but there are black seam line even if I chose to cover some while gluing, and it kind of makes the model hard to look at. Printing on grey thick cardstock sometimes works. All I can really think of is to build a smaller model in black paper, cut the windows and energy emitters that I want to light up and then build over them on high quality matte paper with the printed sheets. I have tried window sealer black foam strips with glue on one of the surfaces, black yarn glued in place behind the seams and also black paper and foil on the inside seams. nothing is satisfactory. I can't spray paint them. I have reduced the leds brightness with filters and such, almost achieving my goal with that, but not successful every time.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Great job !! I really like this one a lot!! :)

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Thanks! I think the model could be improved by a banded sphere instead of petals, or perhaps more petals to smooth out the 'head'. Also better dishes, as in backing and positioning rods. The plate on the top of the antenna suffers from slight variances so it warps slightly. Other than those minor adjustments , its a very good model!

Reactions: Sky Seeker

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Had to face the bitter truth this morning trying to light up Rawen's one page Klingon d7.
I simply won't lite up small models anymore, but I will make big [1/250+ scale] mostly scratch building and paper mache and sanding, painting, and also make dinosaurs the same way.
Paper towels, Elmer's glue or epoxy or even thick paste and sand it smooth, or using different kinds of wall patch foam plaster.
It's just calling me to do things that way now. That stand is a common straw, a coffee pod, and a AA battery pack for 2 AA batteries.

Star-Trek-Klingon-Tahng-D-7-Ktinga-Class-Battle-Cruiser-Paper-Model.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It's your "Tahng", do what you want to do. :)

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
I'm running into problems of too little space and not enough room to light box the model. I get one part working great and then it just doesn't sit right when put together so I am going bigger. At least regular print size, I learned a lot by making all these minis, but now it has to become what my end vision was, and that's no light leaks and good SFX. I might use reflective colored tape and bling stuff on the smaller one page models. I don't know what I'm gonna do with all these damn things is all. lol.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
I haven't tried it..as yet , but instead of trying to light proof your model.. light proof your led..ie..use the black paper to construct a tube..and seal in your led, and only allow the tip to emit light.. worth a shot...
FYI for anyone... great reflective surface .. all those POTATO CHIP TYPE bags out there made of mylar..most are silvered mylar in the inside..used some on a Flakscheinwerter 36 "Flack Headlight Model 36 " ie search light so I know it reflects well...just have to clean all the grease off!!. But I didn't install a led..have the design for a new one that will incorporate battery inside the generator housing and wiring through the cables and with functioning louvers..and an LED ! in a new build in 1/25th scale... OOTD =one of these days;)