Space Shuttle Pathfinder Prototype

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by jparenti, Feb 13, 2007.

1. jparenti

jparenti Member

I'm usually rather critical of my own work, but I think this attempt at a Pathfinder prototype went okay. It's a little rough, but I'm working out the details. Besides, back when Pathfinder was a simple mockup, it looked kind of rough anyway.
    Also, it fits well with my slowly growing collection of Shuttle hardware. (Ignore the incomplete Challenger, and the prototype Shuttle-C... still working on that!) :grin:

Attached Files:

2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Prototype has come together nicely! And sorry, can't ignore those other models, they look great! Thanks for the pics!

Chris
  3. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

4. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thanks for the kind words! Just in case no one's familiar with Pathfinder's original appearance, this is one of the pictures I was working from:

Attached Files:

5. AXM61

AXM61 Member

Hi jparenti,

It makes me very happy to see my models in on of your photos. You have built them with great dedication. Congrats for the nice looking Pathfinder prototype, too. I am planning to build one for my site, it still in the works but the model I'll show is the one as the Pathfinder displayed in Huntsville, with all the colors. If you don't mind I'd like to add one of your photos to my Gallery section. In that section I like to display photos of my models built by others.
    Keep the good work and I hope this will motivate others to build my models.

Alfonso
  6. jparenti

jparenti Member

It would be my pleasure to let you use my photo Alfonso! I'm working steadily through all the orbiters, and I built my Pathfinder in the same scale so it would match the rest. I'll be looking forward to the current version of Pathfinder, too -- I saw it in Huntsville years ago and was enthralled enough to want to add it to my collection!
    Your models have been absolutely fantastic! Keep it up! :grin:
  7. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

fantastic models! shame the pathfinder is so pig ugly:grin: whats the big one up the back?
  8. jparenti

jparenti Member

The stack in the background is STS-116. The open payload bay shuttle is Challenger, STS-51L.
    And I like my ugly Pathfinder! NASA built it out of scrap. Certainly I can do the same! :grin:
  9. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Certainly, Jparenti! And I bet you can come up with a better Pathfinder there.

I saw your picture Alfonso uploaded to his website, and it looks great.
  10. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Shuttle C

I want to see the Shuttle C come to life!!!!!!

Carl
  12. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

some spare ply,2x4s,few cans of paint and a spare weekend you could build it life size:twisted:
  13. jparenti

jparenti Member

My yard is certainly big enough. Hmmmm.... :twisted:
  14. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

certainly beats a patio:twisted:
  15. jparenti

jparenti Member

Just so everyone knows, Alfonso just put up his Pathfinder model. It's the full stack, with the SRBs and MPTA-ET. There's even a stand to make it sit in the same pose as it's in in Huntsville!
    This'll be a great addition to my collection (which needs an Atlantis, an Endeavour, and a Columbia to completely represent all the shuttles). It crossed my mind once to build the Main Propulsion Test Article, but I may be getting in over my head. LOTS of trusswork! :grin:
    Thanks again, Alfonso! I'm really enjoying these!

(attached is a photo of MPTA-098, just so you know what I meant by trusswork.)

Attached Files:

16. AXM61

AXM61 Member

Hi to all,

Here's a photo of my recent model to my website, the Pathfinder mock-up with the MPTA-ET as is displayed in Huntsville, Alabama.
    Read more about it in my website.
    Take care,

Alfonso

Attached Files: