space shuttle Atlantis / Betexa / 1:72

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by wedge, Apr 1, 2008.

1. wedge

wedge Member

[​IMG]
    I ´m working on another space model , photos will be soon :)
  2. wedge

wedge Member

[​IMG]
    First progress :) I´ll use the transparent folies for the windows , because there is a interior as a part of the model , but it is only black and white colored , so I am going to use real photos as a textures
  3. exzealot

exzealot Member

Wedge,

I see that the Betexa Shuttle has the heat tiles shown. Hobby Model's Shuttle is 1/33 scale and the bottom is completely black - no tiles. This looks like a good model - can't wait to see the build!

Ken
  4. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

That's the model from which the MARSCenter Shuttle was derived...

It will be interesting to see one being assembled :-D
  5. wedge

wedge Member

You are right,the hobby model is very unrealistic.only SRB and ET looks like the real once,but the orbiter is disaster:) Unfortunately in betexa ,there are a lot of mistakes in geometry. It will be a piece of hard work to put some pieces together,the paper is not very good too..
  6. wedge

wedge Member

7. wedge

wedge Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Elevons are ready , I´ll let them opened , because I´m going to make landing diorama , so Atlantis needs to have the aerodynamic brake :)
  8. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Excellent work so far! :)
  9. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Nice clean build:thumb::thumb:
    Keep up the good work:mrgreen:
    Wayne
  10. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

Nice detail in this kit..
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Betexa Raketoplán 'Atlantis' Model in 1/72 Scale

Hi wedge,

Now this is really interesting! We have seen many beautiful MARSCENTER shuttle models being built here over the last few years but I cannot recall seeing this original model built on the forum yet.

I bought this excellent Betexa model some time ago but I can´t bring myself to cut it up. I have scanned the interior parts, which I will be using for an enlarged, laser-printed version of the MARSCENTER 'Atlantis' shuttle model, in 1:72 scale. I am also thinking of adding the belly sections from the Betexa model, which are too diverse in the different MARSCENTER model sheets.

You have already made an excellent start - the vertical fin looks really beautiful with the two moving braking rudders!

The very best of luck with the continuing work.

All the best,
    Bengt :thumb:
  12. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

That reminds me... I haven't done my shuttle here just yet... and the ISS is still on standby... :-D
  13. jparenti

jparenti Member

Looking really good! I tried to get my hands on this one a while back, but they were out of them. I hope that I can find another one eventually, if only for the Magellan probe...
  14. wedge

wedge Member

Thank you all for supporting , I apologize for no-responding :) But I was gone for a while. Tomorrow I´ll bring some more photos of the cabine (I hope) . Unfortunately it is very hard paper , so there is a problem with keeping the right shape :) Space shuttle has absolutely perfect and beautiful lines , so every deflexion is very easy to see especially on the cabine hamr
  15. wedge

wedge Member

16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Betexa Raketoplán Atlantis 1:72 Model

Wedge,

You have done a wonderful job of cutting out all the windows of the nose section, with superbly rounded corners.
    I remember that this took me some time on the Marscenter shuttle, with a thin 'swivel' X-acto knife.

I look forward to seeing your build of the cockpit interior - that will serve as a guide for me in my further work.

Very well done.
    Best regards,
    Bengt :thumb:

PS. I found these two pictures of the Raketoplán Atlantis shuttle - the quality is not the best but perhaps they are of some help to you:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are also some detailed pictures here, at the Betexa home page - click "TECHNICAL MODELS", and then "space technology" and then the picture of the "Raketoplán": Betexa ZS s.r.o.
  17. wedge

wedge Member

Thank you for the photos Bengt :thumb:, I also want to make landing diorama , but I have a problem with finding the "recovery convoy" - it will be very nice to have some of the cars. If enybody knows something about the types of the cars , please let me know. I´ve found some pages and pictures , that can be helpful , but if you have something more , I´ll be very happy for it:)

I´m not going to make the cargo-bay opened , because there is no reason for it when the shuttle is on the groud. Maybe it will be better , because everytime when I saw it opened , there is no chance to make it "good-looking" closed.

There is some progress about the cabine . I hope it looks better now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

STS-30 Magellan Space Probe

Hi wedge,

Very nice work on the nose-cockpit section. I think you are doing a great job although the card in the model sheets perhaps isn´t top-notch quality.

I found another picture that might be of some interest to your model (or to other modelers) - this is the 'real thing'; mission STS-30 back in May,1989, with the space shuttle 'Atlantis' releasing it´s payload - the 'Magellan' space probe, bound for Venus. Compare it to the Betexa card model in my previous post above:

[​IMG]

Best,
    Bengt :wave:
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Wilhelmshavener-Möwe 1:100 Scale 'Columbia' Orbiter Model

kenlwest,

You mentioned the Hobby Model 'Columbia' Space Shuttle model (the one with the ET and SRBs) - that got me thinking:
    Has anybody at this forum ever attempted the Wilhelmshavener-Möwe 1:100 scale 'Columbia' orbiter model? It has e very nice and realistic 'bulge' on top of the cockpit but there is no tile pattern here either:

Bengt :wave:

[​IMG]
  20. jparenti

jparenti Member

I've never even seen that one before. I'd like to order that one and try it out.