It’s only been a few years since I ventured into the world of Space: 1999. I was too young to catch it in first run and it wasn’t in syndication where I lived. The only exposure I had to the show was through toy and model ads and the rare sci-fi publication. Thanks to the Internet, I was finally able to give the show a look and on the whole I’ve found it very entertaining. The “science” part is almost pure hogwash, but the look and feel of the show is very appealing and the model work is first-rate. To me, the Eagles and other earth technology seems very “real world” possible, more so than Star Trek. That includes the Hawk spacecraft seen only once in the first season episode “War Games.” It’s a smaller, faster, more heavily-armed craft than the Eagle. So I decided to take a break from Trek and build myself a Hawk. The only model I know of is JayBats and it’s been on my computer for a couple of years. I printed out the files and started building. As usual, I started looking for ways to make it more screen accurate. While this is a nice, simple model as-is, it is way off on detail and parts structure. So I gathered up a bunch of pics of the studio model (they made a 5”, 16” and 33” version) and got to changing. As usual, I’ve turned it into a quest to the point that I have scrapped the first model and started over. The new model is a combination of JayBats structure, new art and some scratch building. The original screen model Hawks were hastily built models with a lot of details drawn and painted freehand. The 3 versions differ greatly in detail. I have decided to do as “clean” a version as I can of the 33” model with some of my own detail preferences here and there. Let’s see if I can pull this off without going crazy! As usual, all parts are scored and edge colored as needed. However, this is the first model where I’ll be using watercolor pencils to edge color instead of markers. I hope to avoid some of the massive edge bleeding I’ve had in the past. I’m also getting rid of the fold lines during the digital repaint stage. For this build I’m including reference pics and comparison pics of old parts to new parts to avoid spelling out every detail change. I will make note of important changes/challenges as they come up.