SP&S Business Car

Discussion in 'Plans & Blueprints' started by ScratchyAngel, Jun 28, 2008.

1. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/spsbizcar.htm has a link to a floorplan for an old SP & S business car. It sure would be tempting to buy this baby, and it would probably be fun for an hour or two before the wife murdered me and buried me under it.
  2. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

To compliment Jason's pictures (for some reason, I can't find most of my interior shots):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She's Nickel Plate business car #5, in Lima, Ohio. She and caboose 1091 are parked behind berkshire 779. She was built in...1881(?)...by the NYC.
  3. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

At some point this baby will probably sell and the page will go away, so here's the description from the page and I saved the pdf of the floor plan, but it's too big (1.39MB) to upload as an attachment to the forum.

Built by Barney & Smith as a parlor car in 1915 for the Spokane, Portland & Seattle Railway and rebuilt into business car#99 in 1927. Acquired by the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1971 after the BN/SP&S merger. Reportedly both presidents Wilson and Truman used the car and it was finally sold into private ownership in 1971. Overall the car is in very good condition and has been cared for since it's retirement. Some of it's mechanical details include: Grease Timken bearings, truck mounted cylinders, H couplers, full stainless kitchen, shower, good side sills, propane stove, ISSH, drop equalizers, cast shoes, Waukesha generator, D/C electrical system.​
    PRICE: $175,000 $125,000​
  4. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

This caught my eye:

B&S was essentially destroyed by a flood in 1913...a particularly important historical event for dam engineers. B&S continued after the flood, but it effectively wiped them out.

Here's a little info on the order from B&S's records:
    It was part of a 30 car order...1 of 3 parlor cars (or, as I suspect, it was actually 1 of 4 Buffet-Observation-Parlor cars in that order) . It is listed as a 1914 order.

(dates can be fussy...after all, IIRC, NKP 765 had the wrong month on its builder's plates for a number of years...5 of the 6 surviving NKP Berks were of the 2nd batch of S-2 class locomotives...the other 4 in this batch were completed in August...while 765 was in September...the new plates have this detail correct).