Sp daylight diesels

jaijef

Sep 23, 2005
Tennessee
I was writing to see if SP really painted any F units in daylight colors.
I have an athearn F7A Dummy in Daylight and was wondering about the numbering.
I bought it years ago for about 10 bucks.
However when I looked it up online to see if there was a pic of the prototype or the accuracy of the model the only daylight diesels i found were E units.
Also the 6054 was an E9 so the numbering was off.
I know that SP did alot of F units in black widow scheme but was curious about the F units in daylight.
thank you all in advance, your help is appreciated.
jai

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I thought ALCO PA/PB units were used in addition to the steam GS locos. I will have to find it in my library.

Athern is currently producing a train set which has an EMD A unit powered, a dummy B unit, (both may be F7's or F9's, I don't know), and 7 heavyweight passenger cars, (maybe baggage, mail, observation, sleeper, 2 coaches, diner).

There are numerous road names available including SP daylight, C&O, Seaboard/SAL.

The passenger cars have Athern's standard metal axle, palstic wheels, 3-axle trucks, good paint job. They have talgo mounted Bachmann type knuckle couplers, which allow the cars to easily traverse 18" radius tracks.

The sets come with an oval of Bachmann EZ-track (I think that's the name) and a Bachmann el-cheapo powerpack.

This is a great set to put under a Christmas tree, but the quality is good enough for a club layout. I bought a C&O set for $120.00 at M.B. Kleins.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The "Daylight Scheme" was a passenger only color. Freight used the "black widow." As far as I know, the S.P. always used 6 axle power for passenger trains, and 4 axle power for freight. By the way, the 6 axle power was not like the modern Sd locomotives with all axles powered. The E-units and Pa's were a-1-a where the center axle on each truck was an idler.