Sp 2690

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by cnw1961, Aug 5, 2007.

?

Should Kurt "patch" this loco as U.P., or buy a second loco for this purpose?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2007.
  1. "Patch" his existing loco

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Buy a second loco for "patching"

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  1. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

I won this Atlas MP15 DC on ebay a few days ago. Yesterday I spent some hours weathering it. I wanted it to look like it’s been working hard for many years. The air horn is still missing. The horn that comes with the engine does not look like the prototype at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

The trucks are weathered perfectly, and the yellow-brown color of the dust is right for SP. I'm not sure about the position of the larger patches, though.
  3. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Slap Stupendous!

Kurt:wav: , WHOLLY SMOKES!!!...:eeki: ..WOW!!!:eeki: , the weathering on that MP15 is SLAP STUPENDOUS!!!:worship::thumb::thumb::thumb: :worship:
    with the right background, i would have swore it was REAL:eeki::worship: .
    WELL DONE, MY friend...WELL DONE:bravo: .
  4. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Triplex, thank you for your kind words. I looked at a lot of prototype pics before I started, so I hope I got it right :oops:.

Deano, my friend, you are always too kind to me, thank you :wave::wave:. I ordered a MRC sound decoder (# 1643) for this engine. You see, I listen to you :mrgreen:. To install this decoder will be a challenge, because it will be a tight fit. And last, but not least, I ordered Microscale decals # 4328 for this engine, I think you know what it means …
  5. Nazgul

Nazgul Active Member

Kurt...I am by no means, a weathering expert, but...That looks FLAT-OUT AWESOME!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: It really does look real!......Great job!
  6. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

Holy Cow

that is some of the best weathering i've ever seen :eek: ! it looks amazing :mrgreen: ! very nice work man,cant wait to see more of it :thumb:--josh
  7. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Holy Cow Kurt, I second what Deano and Steve said, that looks AMAZINGLY realistic!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  8. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Very nice job on the weathering Kurt, and one of my favourite diesels to wear the Espee's "bloody nose" scheme. Do those rumours of a corporate takeover have anything to do with Dean's favourite Uncle? ;) :-D

Wayne
  9. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Steve, bigsteel, Josh, Wayne, thank you for your very kind comments. It was my first attempt to weather a diesel, so I was quite nervous before I started. I am glad I did not ruin the engine.

Wayne, you know those Microscale decals !!:mrgreen: But you shouldn’t listen to all that rumor … :cry::twisted::mrgreen::wink:
  10. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Kurt:wav: , DON'T DO IT!!!:eeki::eeki::eeki: ..:cry: OH CRIPES, i am begging you AS A FRIEND, DON'T DO IT!:cry: man that engine looks SLAP PERFECT:thumb: , theres just NO WAY you can change it:winki: . i have ANOTHER PLAN that could be of GREAT help:mrgreen: , of coarse it would involve getting an SW, OR an SD40-2:119: ...but it would work with your plans:winki::mrgreen: .
    :deano: -Deano
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

WOW What a great job. Very well done!!!!
  12. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Deano, your patched DRGW engine is one of my favorites :thumb:. So when I bought this MP15, I had in mind to patch it for UP. I think I will try it when I get the decals. I won’t seal the decals with clear paint. Then we can decide if we like it or not :rolleyes:. If we don’t like it, I can remove the decals without any harm done to the engine. :wave:

Please, don’t show me these picturessign1. I am already having a hard time to explain to my wife why I needed this new engine. :mrgreen::mrgreen:sign1sign1 This time I think I’ll get away with it … (to do her justice: she is very supportive).

Herc, thank you :wave:.
  13. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

;)I'm with Dean on this one: you always "need" another locomotive. ;) To do a proper decal job on your switcher, you'd need to gloss coat or paint over the Espee markings, making it difficult to return it to the great state that it's in right now.

Wayne

Edit: I've added a voting poll at the top of this thread. C'mon folks, cast a vote for Kurt to buy another loco. Perhaps enough votes will help him out of a crisis when he tries to sneak it past his wife. ;):-D:-D
  14. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Wayne, you are right, you always need a new engine (what does your wife think about it???)sign1sign1. Ok, ok, I will accept the result of your poll :mrgreen:.
  15. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Kurt:wav: , I IMPLORE YOU to listen to Wayne:winki: .

SO, you didn't like the SW or the SD40-2 huh?(how could you NOT like the THAT SD40-2 , its TOTALLY AWESOME:mrgreen: ).
    Well, then i have 3 GP40's that would ALSO work with your plans:winki::mrgreen: .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Deano, you are cruel sign1sign1sign1. How could you think i did not like the SD???:confused::confused::confused:. I like it too much, that’s the problem :rolleyes:.
  17. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Wayne, you forgot one OTHER IMPORTANT OPTION:winki: , "buy a UP engine that DOES NOT need patching":thumb: , that would work too:thumb::mrgreen: .
  18. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Kurt:wav: , i was TOTALLY just having fun with you:winki::mrgreen: , i figured you would like the SD40-2:thumb: , its quite AWESOME:thumb: .
  19. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Actually, to be 100% correct, the MP15DC's you are trying to emulate were REALLY all CNW units, that ran patched for a couple years till they were all painted:winki: . here are the REAL ONES your going after:thumb:.
    [​IMG]
  20. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

I voted for option #2, get another one and patch it, this one looks to AWESOME to do anything else to it!!!!!!!!!!